Seat tube front derailleur over tightened

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b

Re: Seat tube front derailleur over tightened

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Google finite element analysis bicycle frame and look at the images. The higher stresses are often nearer to the bottom bracket shell
I won't recommend that you ride it, that's your decision, but hopefully the images will help you to decide. Is it plain gauge 531?
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I'm going to disagree with he last poster.
In my ignorance at the time I did that to a brand new 531c frame. Not quite such a big dent mind you.
Rode it for 20 odd years (on some pretty big gears) and sold it recently really no issues at all.
If it's you frame in any event, how about getting a front mech bracket and fit a "braze on" mech.
Never tried it myself but a few posters have said (when this has been discussed before) that doing it this way helps spread the load.
And it might put the "pinch point" in a different place.
(Or get a Braze on front mech hanger if you are going to a frame builder with it.)
What's the worse that's going to happen? Keep a watch eye when you are doing routing maintenance , even if it does "let go" I don't think your safety would be that compromised, it might suddenly start handling a little strangely but I doubt it's going to pitch you off the machine.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on it, but even if the tubing crack through the tube, it's not a catastrophic failure. I had a seat tube crack almost all the way around and the bike was still rideable before I noticed it.