Bottom bracket - and tools - for 1986 Raleigh Road Ace

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
9494arnold

Re: Bottom bracket - and tools - for 1986 Raleigh Road Ace

Post by 9494arnold »

Good question . Don't know the answer but Caveat Emptor if you are buying replacements , Raleigh had their own threads for years. :(
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I had an RRA of similar vintage. Chainset was an SR Royal with matching SR bottom bracket. The BB in the picture looks to be similar. It will be BSA thread not Raleigh as SR only made them with BSA, French and Italian thread types. A standard C spanner and a 2 peg adjustable pin tool was all I ever used on the left hand cup. I certainly wouldn't buy a C spanner if I didn't already have one - just use a parallel pin punch to loosen the lock ring.
It' more than likely this will just need adjusting perhaps after cleaning and repacking the bearings.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

by 1986 anything made in the lightweight unit did indeed have BSA threads not 26tpi Raleigh ones. Dunno about the 1986 model but the 1987 model had a full shimano 600EX (SIS) groupset.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:by 1986 anything made in the lightweight unit did indeed have BSA threads not 26tpi Raleigh ones. Dunno about the 1986 model but the 1987 model had a full shimano 600EX (SIS) groupset.

cheers

Mine was SR chainset, Suntour gears, Weinmann 605 brakes and Maillard hubs.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

The bike has a groupset of Shimano 600 6207.

Shimano 600 6207 BB
Shimano 600 6207 BB

Measuring BB centre to centre correctly?
Measuring BB centre to centre correctly?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I hope to order the HCW-4 and HCW-5 soonest, ta.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Another method is to measure inside of one hole to outside of the opposite one - should be the same outcome. To get even more accurate you could (using the internal measurement ends of the vernier) measure form outside of one hole to outside of opposite hole, then using a selection of twist drills find one that is a snug fit in the hole, then having measured the drill, subtract half of the diameter from the total. Your measurement will undoubtedly be close enough if you know the ctc of the pins in the spanner to enable selecting the correct one ( 29mm in this case?)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

fastpedaller wrote:... Your measurement will undoubtedly be close enough if you know the ctc of the pins in the spanner to enable selecting the correct one ( 29mm in this case?)

Yeah, we’re good to go, I think. Cheers.

I tried my old C spanner against the BB. It was nowhere near and I’d rather try the proper tool than batter my old bike with a hammer. I’ll call that Plan B...
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Worked a treat! Thanks, everyone, especially Brucey.

Result!
Result!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hopefully the bearings will be in good shape and will serve you well for years to come.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Ta, Brucey.

The remaining grease looks - and smells! - pretty much like new, but I was obviously looking to clean and regrease before putting things back together. (I had been concerned that the fluted seat post might have let in water - I’m 5’8” so the bottom of the flutes are below the top of the seat tube - but there are no signs of rust.)

I have this grease in stock...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... p-prod5954

... but I’m happy to get something better if it is worth the expense. I’m looking to do a flat 100 mile sportive in September, and I’ve got all nostalgic in wanting to get this bike back on the road after a few years’ layoff :-)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I still have a set of conventional BB spanners, including the six-dog lockring tool, pin spanner and fixed cup spanner. I thought I'd never use them again (except the fixed cup spanner, which gets used quite often to strip down old bikes*), then I bought a Ron Cooper with a mint Shimano 600 triicolor groupset...excepting an incorrect and worn-out cartridge BB of the wrong length. I sourced a mint 600 cup and cone BB and used the tools to fit and adjust it.

*has never failed to unscrew a fixed cup when used in conjunction with a large mallet