fixed frame with big clearances

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: fixed frame with big clearances

Postby Brucey » 31 Jan 2019, 8:21pm

for some reason I didn't sleep well last night.

I quite understand why you would want to use a stash of tyres/wheels but really this implies that it isn't worth spending a huge amount on the frame to take them...? In which case maybe the suggestion of a hybrid frame is worth pursuing? The cheapest route would be to get one and reset the back end to suit your wheels, and file the dropouts (if they are VDOs) to give enough wheel adjustment.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mig

Postby mig » 31 Jan 2019, 10:21pm

don't lose sleep over a frame chief :wink:

just looking for something cheap that will take 'cross tyres in the spring/summer for a muddy path route to work and winter tyres later on for a short road route to work. just a bike to drop on when the weather is poor. the pompino is nearly it (frame and fork were c.£99 years and years ago) but it lacks just that touch of extra clearance. hey ho.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 31 Jan 2019, 11:12pm

mig wrote:don't lose sleep over a frame chief :wink:

just looking for something cheap that will take 'cross tyres in the spring/summer for a muddy path route to work and winter tyres later on for a short road route to work. just a bike to drop on when the weather is poor. the pompino is nearly it (frame and fork were c.£99 years and years ago) but it lacks just that touch of extra clearance. hey ho.

Just curious (people say I'm curious :? ) to know.... Does your Pompino have the same 49mm between the chainstays at the tyre as mine?
Maybe yours is different if it's an earlier itteration?

mig

Postby mig » 31 Jan 2019, 11:18pm

fastpedaller wrote:

Just curious (people say I'm curious :? ) to know.... Does your Pompino have the same 49mm between the chainstays at the tyre as mine?

scratches head. dunno. i'd have to check. i'm looking to run a mudguard as well though.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 1 Feb 2019, 7:00am

Just a thought. Look at On Ones Pompetamine. Might be same frame with disc tabs added. Might not. Now longer for sale sadly.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Feb 2019, 9:40am

a friend has a pompetamine and the clearances are OK with a 32mm tyre and mudguards. I wouldn't want to fit anything very much larger than that with mudguards. Probably you could run 38mm tyres without, but they would practically be rubbing on the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slowster

Postby slowster » 1 Feb 2019, 11:23am

mig wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

scratches head. dunno. i'd have to check. i'm looking to run a mudguard as well though.

My Pompino is one of the early versions (Mk 1 or 2?) with 135mm OLN and the wishbone seatstay. With 28mm tyres there is approximately 21mm clearance between the tyre and seat stay on both sides. However, there is nowhere near as much clearance between the bottom of the wishbone and the tyre. There is a boss in the bottom of the wishbone for mounting the mudguard, and the bolt reduces that clearance even further by a few mm. I doubt that my Pompino would safely take 700C tyres much wider than 28mm, and I would be concerned about the potential for the rear wheel to pick up mud etc. and lock up, especially on a muddy path route.

Brucey's suggestion of switching to 650B with hub brakes (and 3 speed plus a dynamo) is something which I have been toying with for my Pompino, and it sounds a better option to me for a muddy path commute. I would be wary of switching to 650B but keeping the fixed gear, because of the lower bottom bracket and greater risk of a pedal strike.

LuckyLuke

Postby LuckyLuke » 3 Feb 2019, 1:02pm

Hi, I have a Cross-check frameset. Deffo takes 700 X 38 tyres with guards. Probably 40s but I've not tried it.
Great frameset. So versatile, I've run it with drops, flatbar, hub & derailleur gears, drum & rim brakes, as a tourer & commutter. My 60cm frame is a nice ride. My 58cm LHT frame felt more leaden & dead when riding unloaded, with near identical components (although it wasn't a back to back test).
The cross check has ~132.5mm rear spacing, IIRC. Not sure if a 120mm rear hub could be respaced?
Best wishes,
Luke