Front derailleur changing up without first trimming

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thelawnet

Front derailleur changing up without first trimming

Post by thelawnet »

A Shimano front derailleur for a double chainset has four positions, as I understand it: from further out to closest to the frame:

big ring/smaller cogs (4)
big ring/bigger cogs (3)
small ring/smaller cogs (2)
small ring/bigger cogs (1)

The manual (for a 5700) provides

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6TH0A-002-ENG.PDF

"Lever a : Shifts from smaller to larger front chainring."

"If operation of lever a does not complete the chainring shift stroke, operate lever a again for the distance (X') to complete that part of the lever stroke (X) which was short."

Is it intended that if you were in position (1) above, that you can change up without difficulty, i.e. by fully moving lever 'a' fully outwards? Or is it really intended that you should effectively do a click into position 2, and then make the shift from that position?

I only ask because I am not sure if I need to start fiddling with my FD height or if it is operating normally in that the move from position 1 to the big ring is not easy.
Eyebrox

Re: Front derailleur changing up without first trimming

Post by Eyebrox »

You should be able to do it in a single move. Sometimes my hand is not quite positioned well enough to effect a full one-throw move from small to big ring. I then need to follow through with another push on the lever to extend the derailleur out far enough. The trim mechanism can be felt better when it's working on the reverse - dropping the chain down the way. A final "tickle" on the inner paddle moves the derailleur arm inwards slightly to stop the chain rubbing on the mech plate when the chainline is at an awkward angle. It all happens automatically without much thought after a while - similar to working the gears in a car.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Not sure if this height is off

hamster

Post by hamster »

Needs to be 3-4mm gap between the top of the tooth adn the bottom of the cage.