Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes

Postby Brucey » 3 Feb 2019, 11:41am

they were a revelation when they were introduced in the late 1960s, and soon became the preferred choice of professional racing cyclists and amateurs alike. In 'piccolo' format on the right frameset, they are still a potent stoppers to this day.

However I don't think that any of the 'special features' were entirely unique and some of them are a bit of a fib (like the QR mechanism being safe in any position; it certainly is no such thing!). But it took a very long time for the competition to catch up. Arguably it took until the early 1980s (I'm thinking of shimano's SLR brakes here) before there was roughly equal or better performance in a mid-price brake.

In the meantime campag's replacement brake, the delta, whilst stylish and powerful, was both heavy and troublesome, and this lead to the reintroduction of the old side-pull brake for a while, in slightly made-over form. Really it was the dual pivot brake which knocked brakes like the Nuovo Record piccolo off their perch, and then not by much. These brakes have always been valued items, too; I don't think there has ever been a time when you could buy used ones cheaply, which is quite something given that they rarely wear out or go wrong, and have been obsolete for decades.

Are they THE racing brake of the twentieth century? Probably.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 3 Feb 2019, 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

peetee

Re: Campagolo Nuovo Record brakes

Postby peetee » 3 Feb 2019, 1:07pm

Certainly one of the better looking products and light years ahead of Campag's recent offerings in terms of aesthetics. But that could be said for the whole groupset. The prettiest bike component ever made IMHO is the 70's/80's Super Record crankset.
I have a couple of bikes fitted with these brakes and, whilst they do offer great feedback, they are a real effort to use 'on the hoods' in comparison to modern offerings.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Feb 2019, 2:24pm

Mine were Victory in piccolo format.
Basically the same, buy grey hoods and grey blocks.

Excellent brakes, since sold on here.
Mick F. Cornwall

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 3 Feb 2019, 2:45pm

I recall a club mate having some in the early 70s. Every time he braked we used to shout "that's another shilling in brake wear". Piccolo came a few years later to satisfy closer clearance frames that were becoming common for racing. I had some Record brakes as the sole braking on my tandem in the early 80s, perfectly fine for me at the time. Funny isn't it, that in those days we had standard reach brakes like these and short reach Piccolo; versus modern days where what was standard is now called deep drop and what was Piccolo is now called standard.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Feb 2019, 3:07pm

I fitted my Victory brakes in October 1986 when I built up the Mercian.
They were still in use as late as 2004 on the original brake blocks and the original Mavic MA40 rims.
Commuted for years on that bike in all weathers 17miles each way .................plus did JOGLE fully loaded with panniers in 1994.

Since sold the Victory brake-set and the blocks were less than half-worn.
Mick F. Cornwall

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 3 Feb 2019, 5:23pm

A quick shout out for the slightly more budget options here.
I agree that cheap Weinman Sidepulls (the ones with the 0 suffix at the end ) were about as good as Carved Cheese but if you look at the slightly more expensive Weinman Offerings (Carrera/ 405/605) there are some pretty good brakes without breaking the bank. Mafac did some nice Sidepulls too, not actually tried these.
Some (not all) of the 05 Series are made of some decent Alloy, are a bit more substantial than their cousins , have a thicker spindle, have a very good Quick Release and even have a ball bearing race between the 2 arms. Not sure what Vintage they are but they are damn good Sidepull Brakes (I use them on my Trikes on an extended nose in front of a brazed on Cantilever)
There's a few others too, I had some Red S Sidepulls which were ace. Again not sure if vintage.
Quite a bit of the better braking comes from decent brake pads too, Orange 5 stud Weinman/ Mafac black Dimple/ Salmon .
Often see Alloy wheels with blocks intended for steel wheels which simply aren't compatible (or at least not ideally so)

peetee

Re: Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes

Postby peetee » 3 Feb 2019, 7:02pm

The best sidepulls i have ever used were by Formos. Not a brand I have come across before or since but they look a lot like Suntour Superbe. They are now on my son's straight bar commuter and pull up as good as v's but with a much more linear response.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 4 Feb 2019, 9:20am

I had Galli Criteriums which to me, at least back in the 70's, looked nicer than the Campag offerings and worked at least as well. There's a set on my Eroica bike, my originals in fact, still stopping well. I also found the hoods more comfortable than the Campag ones but I have relatively small hands. With lever 'qr' you don't need a separate lever on the caliper.

Previous to the Galli's I used the less than brilliant Mafac centre pulls and various Weinmann offerings, I guess we rode to the machine rather than the marketing! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 4 Feb 2019, 12:51pm

For me, these brakes are about the pinnacle of beauty in bicycle components. Their simple form, lack of ornamentation, cleverness, and incidental great elegance delight the eye and mind.

Pardo.net has a good treatise on the design of these (and similar) brakes.

Readers have been assailed too often with my complaints about pad-position error with wear, but that remains a major advantage of single-pivot calliper brakes compared to most others. The pads practically don’t move with wear, since the pivot for both arms is centred over the rim and the arms are long. Nor does the mechanical advantage change significantly with pad wear or variations in reach within the design intention (length of slot in the arm).

Dual-pivot brakes require very thin brake pads to keep the position error in check over the miserable life of the pad. And even using these pads that are half worn when new, the short-arm pad climbs into the tyre as it wears. (The latest Shimano dual-pivot designs double the problem by making both pads climb into the tyre.) Recently I noticed that Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM all say pads should be replaced when the grooves are worn, presumably to minimise the position error. Following that advice makes pad life even shorter.

Many new rims come with needlessly tall brake tracks to solve this problem from the other end.

To see what could be done about this problem without being locked into using rims I don’t want, I got a pair of Super Record callipers last year. I still haven’t mounted them to see if they brake well enough for my purposes. Opinions vary wildly on that question.

The Campagnolo levers were also impressive and fetch impressive prices on eBay to this day … which is why I still don’t own any to match my callipers. Sheldon Brown wrote this in 1998:

“The bigger difference was in the levers.  The construction and design of the Campagnolo levers differed from the best of previous models as a Cannondale differs from a Huffy.”

However, the revised pivot position of later aero brake levers made it easier to brake from the hoods than with the classic Campagnolo levers, especially if you have short fingers.

Several years ago Campagnolo re-introduced single-pivot callipers for use on the rear wheel (for largely spurious reasons). More recently SRAM re-introduced a single-pivot calliper, now with a cam action to add friction for no good reason. The bogus engineering, overwrought appearance, price, and inappropriate concern with aerodynamics of this product contrast sharply with the old Campagnolo Record and speaks to the problems of the broader cycle industry.

julianm

Postby julianm » 5 Feb 2019, 4:54pm

Who did the Weinmann ad in the comic which had the line 'They're as good as Campag'?
I can't find it & remembering a name is even less likely.