Wheel/hub compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AMMoffat

Wheel/hub compatibility

Postby AMMoffat » 3 Feb 2019, 12:54pm

I've just purchased a mountain bike - a steel Genesis Altitude 30. Although the frame has had 2 previous owners it is in almost pristine condition and was built up by the previous owner (or at least his LBS) with a variety of parts, mostly good and which will be replaced as they wear or when I get around to it. The rims, however, are Mavic D521 32H built onto Hope 6-bolt hubs. I understand that these particular rims were not recommended for disc wheels. What issues am I likely to encounter if I continue to use them as is? Should I continue to use them or get the wheels re-built with disc-specific rims? I intend to use the bike offroad including for off-road touring.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to identify the particular model of Hope hub as there seem to be no markings on them? I think they are around 2010 vintage.

Brucey

Re: Wheel/hub compatibility

Postby Brucey » 3 Feb 2019, 3:24pm

you will have no problems using those rims with disc brakes. You would have problems using disc brake rims with rim brakes.

Best way to identify Hope hubs is to compare with photos on t'interweb. Most likely if they are six-bolt discs is that they are Pro 4 model. You can download more info on the hope website.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AMMoffat

Re: Wheel/hub compatibility

Postby AMMoffat » 5 Feb 2019, 2:29pm