New Chainset and Cassette for 2005 Dawes Galaxy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trev864

New Chainset and Cassette for 2005 Dawes Galaxy

Postby Trev864 » 5 Feb 2019, 10:50pm

I have a 2005 Dawes Galaxy and want to replace the chainset, cranks, chain and cassette in preparation for JOGLE this summer. They have never been changed in 14 years.

The chainset is a Shimano Deore triple (square taper bottom bracket) - 48/36/26 with 170mm cranks. The cassette is 11-32 (9 speed)

I have searched on line but cant find the same chainset and cranks. I want to keep the same gearing ideally.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

pwa

Re: New Chainset and Cassette for 2005 Dawes Galaxy

Postby pwa » 5 Feb 2019, 10:55pm

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p28 ... cral-Rings

This, with your choice of rings and a new bottom bracket to suit if necessary. Better than any Shimano alternative.

Give Spa a call if you are uncertain.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 5 Feb 2019, 11:04pm

Be easier to just get a new bike!

If nothing has been replaced in 14 years it'll all be well worn, the rear mech will need at least. New jockey wheels, head and BB bearings will need attention/replacement ettc, etc.

By the time you've bought everything you could have your self a new shiny.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 6 Feb 2019, 1:24am

it rather depends how many miles you have done as to how knackered it all is. I wouldn't bother replacing the chainset unless it was proven to be worn out and that is (unless wear is catastrophic) only proven by running a new chain on it and seeing what happens.

Honestly I'd suggest you clean everything up, fit a new cassette and chain, and see how it goes. Then replace other parts as needs be (you have months to get it sorted out).

BTW you should be able to buy chainrings to fit your present cranks; normally if there is wear, only one of the three chainrings is badly worn.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~