Hub bearing preload

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fossala

Hub bearing preload

Post by fossala »

I'm going to be stripping my Dura-ace (track) 7710 hubs this afternoon to put some fresh grease in the bearings (NOS). On qr axles I've always allowed a little play that get's taken up when clamped down in the dropouts with the qr. I'm guessing this isn't the case with a solid axle hub?
Airsporter1st

Re: Hub bearing preload

Post by Airsporter1st »

I would say not. The QR applies a 'squeezing' force axially across the hub which does not occur with a properly installed solid hub.

IMHO, of course - no doubt someone else will drop in and point out my errors, shortly.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Airsporter1st wrote:I would say not. The QR applies a 'squeezing' force axially across the hub which does not occur with a properly installed solid hub.

IMHO, of course - no doubt someone else will drop in and point out my errors, shortly.

That was my reasoning (guessing).
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the only think you need to look out for is that the load on the cones from the locknuts is not quite the same as the load on the cones once the track nuts are tight. This can cause the cones to settle differently on the axle threads when you tighten the track nuts.

However this effect is normally very slight indeed; if you adjust a hub in the frame so that there is no play in at the rim, you would be hard pushed to say for sure that there was play in the hub once the track nuts are less tight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fossala

Post by fossala »

Brucey wrote:the only think you need to look out for is that the load on the cones from the locknuts is not quite the same as the load on the cones once the track nuts are tight. This can cause the cones to settle differently on the axle threads when you tighten the track nuts.

However this effect is normally very slight indeed; if you adjust a hub in the frame so that there is no play in at the rim, you would be hard pushed to say for sure that there was play in the hub once the track nuts are less tight.

cheers

I've just finished adjusting them out the frame so there is no wobble feel at the axle but I can see a little tiny bit of grease move around the seal. I'll see if there is any play once in the dropouts.