Bent stay on a Brommie rear rack - repair needed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tmac100

Bent stay on a Brommie rear rack - repair needed.

Post by tmac100 »

My friend's Brommie rear rack has a bent stay (RH side, I think she said) which is also cracked near where it attaches to the frame near the rear wheel. The rear stays on my Brommie seem to be made of Al tubing swaged flat at both ends and drilled (top end) and slotted (at bottom end). This damage happened when it was in checked baggage on a flight. I figure it can be straightened and the crack can be repaired by a shop that does aluminium welding. The fender/mudguard was also bent but that was easily straightened.

Anyone have experience with this type of situation? Suggestions (aside from buying a new rack)? Thanks. There is only one "new" Brommie dealer in Dubai with no spare rear stays - the broken and cracked one would need to be ordered from England and would take some time (and expense) to get to Dubai - hence the welding question.
gaz

Re: Bent stay on a Brommie rear rack - repair needed.

Post by gaz »

Not quite the same issue but you may get a few ideas here.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

is this what you want?
https://www.evanscycles.com/brompton-r- ... gJWyPD_BwE

someone will be able to make you one from suitable tubing
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Here are the pics of the bent and cracked stay. I think that it is easy to straighten the bent stay. Welding the crack should be easy enough to do by a competent Al welder.

The Brommie is in Dubai and getting the Brommie part will be quite difficult because of Brompton's territorial requirements that parts come from the local dealer. It seems the local dealer in Dubai does not even know about these replacement stays - then getting the correct one will be another issue too. Any suggestions or comments now that the pics are posted?
IMG_6269.JPG
Attachments
IMG_6270.JPG
awparker

Post by awparker »

I had a similar situation here in the UK a few years ago when my Brompton was dropped by luggage handlers at a coach company. At the time I had to buy a new rack but still have the old one in my spares box. If I remember correctly it was a lug on the casting that broke and the stays are intact

If you think this might help please send me a pm and we will see what can be worked out

Alan
pwa

Post by pwa »

As a temporary measure you could find a suitable rod of the right length and firmly attach it to the broken stay as a sort of splint using 4 jubilee clips done up nice and tight.