HV or HP hand pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
KLM

HV or HP hand pump

Post by KLM »

Hi

I have a hybrid bike with 28” wheels. Should I get a HV or a HP pump?
RickH

Re: HV or HP hand pump

Post by RickH »

I tend towards getting an HP on the grounds that a high pressure pump will still fill a large volume tyre, albeit using more pump strokes, but a high volume pump won't be able to reach the higher pressures if you ever need them.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Likewise. I'm so thrifty/tight I use an HP track pump for my car tyres too. :shock:
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use one of these https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/halfords-metal-track-bike-pump-with-gauge

It's good enough for up to 80-90psi (just!) on my tourer and Brompton, and tops up the car tyres as well! Switchable Presta and Schrader head

If I needed higher pressures its hard to beat the Zefal frame-fit pumps.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

KLM wrote:Hi

I have a hybrid bike with 28” wheels. Should I get a HV or a HP pump?

If you're looking for a pump to keep at home a track pump is best,Ive been using one of these for 25 to 2.4inch tyres for a few year now and can thoroughly recommend it:- https://www.topeak.com/global/de/produc ... --sport-ii
However if you're riding 32mm> tyres and need a pump to carry around with you I can highly recommend one of these a truly well made bit of kit:- https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-HV-Micr ... _26276.htm?
Or with a gauge:-
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-HV-Micr ... _26278.htm

EDIT:- there's also a high pressure version of the Lezyne pump Micro Floor pump.
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Feb 2019, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

There are many different sorts of pump that might work for you.

There are hand pumps that require a reasonable amount of upper body strength to use, full size track pumps, foot operated pumps, mini-pumps... all sorts.

Is it for carrying on the bike, or in a bag/pouch? Is it mainly for use at home (eg topping up) or is it for puncture repairs?

In general if you have to choose between HV and HP models it depends whether you want to pump over about 50psi or not. They vary of course but HV pumps struggle a bit at pressures higher than that.

Pumps that are left on the bike tend to get pinched when the bike is parked. Thus having a small pump in a bag that you take with you is often more practical, even though when time comes to use said pump, it mayn't be that good...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

High volume for MTB high pressure for road.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

I have a Topeak mini-morph, I use it on narrow road tyres and 2" MTB ones. Being used with the force of the upper body, does not drain you for pumping up the wheel at good pressure.
Also is small enough to fit in a Carradice Barley
KLM

Post by KLM »

Thanks all. It’s a pump needed to carry around in a saddle bag as opposed for pumping at home. Sounds like I should probably air towards a HP type. Thanks for the recommendations.