Wheel lacing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeDee

Wheel lacing

Post by MikeDee »

I have an Orbea Gain ebike. The rear wheel is laced with all outbound spokes (32, 14 gage spokes). I thought that was a little odd. Is it worth relacing the wheels to the normal inbound-outbound pattern? Maybe spoke washers under the spoke heads?
Brucey

Re: Wheel lacing

Post by Brucey »

it may not be possible to relace the hub; it is possible that the drillings may only work if the spokes are put in that way round. Even if it were possible I probably wouldn't bother. one reason is that when the wheel falls apart and you start thinking 'warranty?' it will be obvious that the wheel has been meddled with.

What I would do is I would definitely stress-relieve the wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:it may not be possible to relace the hub; it is possible that the drillings may only work if the spokes are put in that way round. Even if it were possible I probably wouldn't bother. one reason is that when the wheel falls apart and you start thinking 'warranty?' it will be obvious that the wheel has been meddled with.

What I would do is I would definitely stress-relieve the wheel.

cheers

Another person with a Bianchi with this same hub has his laced with alternating inbound-outbound spokes, and I saw a photo in an article of it laced that way too.

Yes, I'll stress relieve the spokes. They are pretty short spokes. Wonder if I can buy some spares?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in fairness the bracing angle of the spokes is often a problem with such wheels and it is improved by having all outbound spokes. This trades off against the bracing being a bit odd (which may not be harmful in fact).

To get spare spokes I would imagine that you may have to get them cut and threaded.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

The hub may be laced that way in an attempt to maximise lateral stability by creating spoke to spoke contact at the crossovers. The flanges are so deep as to prevent inside/outside spoke swap at the crossover.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.