20" aluminium mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hercule
Posts: 934
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby hercule » 15 Feb 2019, 10:24pm

I've got a pair of these guards in 17" size on my ancient Moulton AM. They were a distress purchase when the front chromoplastic guard (which was one of the few original parts left on the bike) finally gave up the ghost and decided to jam itself under the fork crown :shock: ... fortunately I was only moving slowly at the time and wasn't sent over the handlebars.

The metal guards were a little bit more difficult to set up but once in place are solid and don't rattle. There's the occasional bit of tinkling if a stone passes through but this isn't common, otherwise they feel solid. And I feel reassured that they are at least a bit less likely to crumple up and jam the front wheel. They were pricey but the only option for a 17" wheel! (Unless I wanted to bodge a 16" Brompton guard or similar.) I wasn't sure how I'd take to them, being used to black chromoplastic guards on the bike for years, but I quite like the look... fits in with the other shiny bits!

IMG_0651.jpg
Last edited by hercule on 15 Feb 2019, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

hercule
Posts: 934
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby hercule » 15 Feb 2019, 10:27pm

PS Moultons are nice bikes, they deserve the best!

From what I've heard, TSRs regularly destroy plastic mudguards, these ones will probably outlive many sets of the plastic ones. And they are shiny. :lol:

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 9:19am

Nice bike!
Nice mudguards!

My chromoplastic front mudguard cracked. Main problem with them is they aren't supported very well having only one stay.
Fortunately where the crack appeared, it was half way from the crown to the stay, so with a bit of ingenuity with some old stays and an old mudguard, I could fit the stays and bridge whilst Aralditing the bridge in place plus nuts and bolts to secure it. In fact, the mudguard is better than new now.

I rubbed down the black mudguards and sprayed them silver and clear lacquer on top. They haven't weathered well, so unless I replace them, I may as well spray them up again.
IMG_0195.JPG


Close-up of the repair.
Close-up.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall

hercule
Posts: 934
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby hercule » 16 Feb 2019, 9:37am

According to the Moulton email list on Yahoo, it’s usually the rear mudguards that give up the ghost first. As I said, the metal guards will probably last for ages so you should treat yourself now.... you know you want to!

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 10:18am

If I have one complaint about the originals (other than the front crack of course) is that the rear one has never followed the curve of the rear wheel properly. In order to get it correct, it needs another stay half way between the other two to pull it in.

It's as if the radius of the mudguard is wrong.
Close-up2.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall

hercule
Posts: 934
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby hercule » 16 Feb 2019, 1:46pm

If you bent the rear paired stays a bit further apart, would that help? They sort of look like they are pushing the guard opposite ways.

Brucey
Posts: 33866
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Brucey » 16 Feb 2019, 2:59pm

Mick F wrote:If I have one complaint about the originals (other than the front crack of course) is that the rear one has never followed the curve of the rear wheel properly. In order to get it correct, it needs another stay half way between the other two to pull it in.

It's as if the radius of the mudguard is wrong.


The mudguard 'looks wrong' because of the way it is mounted. You need to put more spacers where the mudguard fits to the chainstay brace. On many moulton (APB/TSR models especially) you need at least 1/2" of spacers. The limiting thing is whether the wheel still comes out of the frame easily, and that depends on what kind of tyre you have and whether or not you are happy to deflate the tyre before the wheel goes in/out or not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pete75
Posts: 11065
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby pete75 » 16 Feb 2019, 3:28pm

Mick F wrote:Yeah, it's only £90, and that's only a night or two out down the pub.
Noise? I doubt it'd be much different on my TSR.

I still balk at the cost.
Fudges know how to charge! The normal chromoplastic ones are £70 there, but only £30odd normally.
https://fudgescyclestore.com/product/al ... _20_models

Amazon, for instance.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKS-Bluemels-M ... th=1&psc=1

PS:
I know the front stays need bending to get past the front suspension. This is one of the excuses that Fudges use for the high cost.
DIY bending is fine, coz I've done it when I fitted an extra set of stays at the front as the Fudges ones only come with one pair and the front mudguard snaps. Since repaired.


Knw how to charge indeed. A couple of years ago I bought some 20" SKS for a Moulton APB in a French bike shop - 14.99 Euros.

90 quid for two nights in the pub? That's 45 pints in my local.

User avatar
SimonCelsa
Posts: 549
Joined: 6 Apr 2011, 10:19pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby SimonCelsa » 16 Feb 2019, 4:51pm

Holland bike shop have a good selection in 20" although a lot of them appear to be out of stock at the moment.

Some nice shiny silver ones (stainless, not alloy): https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicyc ... ox-silver/

or some delightful pink ones!!: https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicyc ... nk-318320/

Keen prices too, but I haven't checked the shipping costs.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 7:33pm

pete75 wrote:90 quid for two nights in the pub? That's 45 pints in my local.
Off topic here! :D

£3.70 a pint plus Mrs Mick F on other drinks - sometime beer, sometimes a large vodka and tonic. Maybe £7.50 a round?
Maybe three rounds? That's £22.50. Two evenings is £45, so I exaggerate somewhat.

What about four rounds on two evenings in the week?
4 rounds x twice in the week = 8 x £7.50 = £60
Exaggerate a bit to get £90 maybe, but it only needs three visits ........ and already done three pubs this week - Wednesday, Friday and today.

Adds up dunnit. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 7:45pm

Brucey wrote:The mudguard 'looks wrong' because of the way it is mounted. You need to put more spacers where the mudguard fits to the chainstay brace. On many moulton (APB/TSR models especially) you need at least 1/2" of spacers. The limiting thing is whether the wheel still comes out of the frame easily, and that depends on what kind of tyre you have and whether or not you are happy to deflate the tyre before the wheel goes in/out or not.

cheers
The mudguard fits onto the chainstay brace by a bolt.
The position needs to be snug due to the length of the horizontal dropouts. When removing the wheel, the tyre is tight against the mudguard, let alone the bolt head. Putting a spacer of sufficient thickness would stop the wheel coming out unless the tyre is deflated first.

The dropouts need to be shorter and the mudguards need to be redesigned. Front, as well as rear.
Fronts crack, rears are plain wrongly shaped. Maybe the rear brake bridge is too low - it only needs half an inch (or less) higher.

Notice that the advertising photos are without mudguards?
moulton-tsr-30-dbs-2013-folding-bike.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 7:53pm

hercule wrote:If you bent the rear paired stays a bit further apart, would that help? They sort of look like they are pushing the guard opposite ways.
I've tried endlessly.
Stays are in the wrong place, also the braze-on on the dropouts.
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75
Posts: 11065
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby pete75 » 16 Feb 2019, 8:32pm

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:90 quid for two nights in the pub? That's 45 pints in my local.
Off topic here! :D

£3.70 a pint plus Mrs Mick F on other drinks - sometime beer, sometimes a large vodka and tonic. Maybe £7.50 a round?
Maybe three rounds? That's £22.50. Two evenings is £45, so I exaggerate somewhat.

What about four rounds on two evenings in the week?
4 rounds x twice in the week = 8 x £7.50 = £60
Exaggerate a bit to get £90 maybe, but it only needs three visits ........ and already done three pubs this week - Wednesday, Friday and today.

Adds up dunnit. :wink:


£3.70 a pint????? :shock:

Brucey
Posts: 33866
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Brucey » 16 Feb 2019, 8:54pm

even a 1/4" spacer to the chainstay brace would help, and I bet the wheel would still come out provided you removed the RH track nut from the hub. Apologies if this is obvious but you ought to have a shallow-headed screw (pref csk into a larger washer) at that point, otherwise the screw head fouls the tyre.

The other thing that helps is if the mudguard bridge isn't under the seatstay brace; this takes up a few mm that could be better employed getting the mudguard higher up.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 20" aluminium mudguards

Postby Mick F » 17 Feb 2019, 9:51am

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:90 quid for two nights in the pub? That's 45 pints in my local.
Off topic here! :D

£3.70 a pint plus Mrs Mick F on other drinks - sometime beer, sometimes a large vodka and tonic. Maybe £7.50 a round?
Maybe three rounds? That's £22.50. Two evenings is £45, so I exaggerate somewhat.

What about four rounds on two evenings in the week?
4 rounds x twice in the week = 8 x £7.50 = £60
Exaggerate a bit to get £90 maybe, but it only needs three visits ........ and already done three pubs this week - Wednesday, Friday and today.

Adds up dunnit. :wink:


£3.70 a pint????? :shock:
Yep.
Cheaper in some pubs locally.

Do you think £3.70 is too expensive?
£2odd in Wetherspoon's of course.
Mick F. Cornwall