Pressure Washer?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stradageek

Pressure Washer?

Post by Stradageek »

I've just fixed up a neighbours second hand purchase (a Carrera Vulcan MTB).

The bike looked pristine, it was very clean and scratch free but on closer examination had binding hydraulic disks, loose headset and wobbly BB. This turned out to be rusted disk pads, knackered headset bottom bearing+race and a knackered cartridge BB.

As the chain was a little over-lubricated, the rubber sealed headset top bearing and wheel bearings were fine and the bike was so clean, I strongly suspect this is the the result of over exuberant pressure washing.

Sound likely?
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Pressure Washer?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Stradageek wrote:I've just fixed up a neighbours second hand purchase (a Carrera Vulcan MTB).

The bike looked pristine, it was very clean and scratch free but on closer examination had binding hydraulic disks, loose headset and wobbly BB. This turned out to be rusted disk pads, knackered headset bottom bearing+race and a knackered cartridge BB.

As the chain was a little over-lubricated, the rubber sealed headset top bearing and wheel bearings were fine and the bike was so clean, I strongly suspect this is the the result of over exuberant pressure washing.

Sound likely?

Possibly, also any components with bearings in can be problematic if just left standing, in poor storage conditions, if the seals aren’t really good, and even then the grease can dry out, at which time the corrosion sets in more rapidly.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the bike had ever been offroad it would have got dirty and the most likely way for it ever to get clean again (on a regular basis) would be a pressure washer. Lower headset bearings and BB are knackered by crud from the front wheel, whereas bad use of the pressure washer knackers everything -that isn't well sealed and/or well packed with the right lube....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'd never point a pressure washer at a seal. It's just asking for trouble.