Suspesion fluid advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Suspesion fluid advice

Post by jb »

I have some Roxshox forks requiring 5wt suspension oil but I have some Fox 7wt oil. Will there be any noticeable difference or is this too close to bother about?
Cheers
J Bro
Brucey

Re: Suspesion fluid advice

Post by Brucey »

there will just be a bit more damping. Unless you think that is going to be unacceptable, I'd use the 7w oil.
cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

From my experience, in this time of the year a bike that is kept in a cold place will have the forks with a noticeable "woody" feeling when going offroad right away.
A thicker oil will increase this feeling, I'd use it for summer unless you want a higher rate of compression and rebound (the oil being thicker, flows slower in the mechanism, hence a "slower" compression and rebound).

But unless you have very specific demands, all else being equal, I suppose you can play a bit with the controls and be ok with it.
jb

Post by jb »

Thanks Chaps.

I've used the last of the Fox 7wt oil filling it and all seems fine there certainly doesn't feel like much resistance and the knob that's supposed to close of the ports is ineffective until the last notch when it stops things completely. Maybe its different at normal speeds. Best to reserve judgment until I've ridden it I think. At least I haven't had to buy any magic Roxshox oil for fear of damaging the plastic bits.
Cheers
J Bro