Very stiff front shifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: Very stiff front shifting

Post by peetee »

It's been established that the long running 8/9 speed road and MTB front mechs require different shifters but I have just noticed that the mech pictured is not like the previous generation of Sora in that it has a long pull arm like current 11 speed groups and 10 speed Tiagra. As a MTB shifter would overshift a short arm road front mech perhaps it works with this longer one after all.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Brucey

Re: Very stiff front shifting

Post by Brucey »

peetee wrote:It's been established that the long running 8/9 speed road and MTB front mechs require different shifters but I have just noticed that the mech pictured is not like the previous generation of Sora in that it has a long pull arm like current 11 speed groups and 10 speed Tiagra. As a MTB shifter would overshift a short arm road front mech perhaps it works with this longer one after all.

you might have a point; it clearly hasn't got the long arm exactly like a current 11s double but it may be longer than the 'old' road triples had. Looking at the compatibility tables the FD is grouped with FD-R353 so ought to have the same cable pull, which is (IIRC) more like an MTB mech than a road mech. Maybe it ought to work even though it doesn't say so in the tables.

FWIW that design of FD does require a hard cable pull if the arm goes nearly vertical in the low gear position, because the cable has no mechanical advantage over the arm on the FD. Variations in chain line and cable routing make a difference here.

Note that the cable should pass to the left of the 'pip' as per the photo below (ignore the arrows, they are indicating a frayed cable)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~