cycle rack straps

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
climo

cycle rack straps

Postby climo » 17 Feb 2019, 11:08am

I need to buy some cycle car rack straps. It's to strap a trike to a towbar mounted platform style rack so the buckle will be in mid air so to speak. Which buckle is best - ratchet style, ladderlock or what, to avoid it working loose.
The wheels will be individually strapped down but I wouldn't just trust those

tatanab

Re: cycle rack straps

Postby tatanab » 17 Feb 2019, 11:52am

For similar purposes I use cam buckle straps, like overgrown toestraps, metal buckle always not plastic. Quick and easy to fit and remove, ratchet straps are more time consuming, I used them years ago to tie motorcycles in vans or on trailers. This sort of thing https://www.theratchetshop.com/ratchet- ... gLKMvD_BwE I believe you are talking about a recumbent tricycle, important distinction because the c of g is lower and no significant weight further up. Back in the days when we used to cram ourselves into cars to go racing we carried trikes (not recumbent) on a roof rack with each wheel secured by a toestrap with never a problem.

climo

Re: cycle rack straps

Postby climo » 17 Feb 2019, 12:38pm

Yes should have said it's a recumbent trike. Unless someone comes up with a better idea I'll get some with a cam buckle strap. Think I've seen them with a padded area under the buckle.