Newbie with a Vintage mtb

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: Newbie with a Vintage mtb

Post by peetee »

Ok. You asked for help. Just trying to help.

Pal.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

peetee wrote:Ok. You asked for help. Just trying to help.

Pal.
Thanks pal

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my H8216 using hovercraft full of eels.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

It looks like an old Saracen steel Mtb to me, I remember liking the look of the monostay top bit when they came out in the 80's, but I couldn't get hold of one locally so bought a Specialized mtb instead.

They did a Saracen Kili Ultra Titanium with the same style seatstay top but the dropout seat and chain stay attachment areas look different so I don't think it is that particular model, so I am not sure what it could be if it is definitely titanium..
willcee

Post by willcee »

Chris de Kerf was a pioneer in wishbone stays in fact afaik it was his trademark.. he built in steel ,and he's in Canada, my brother over there brought me home one of his show pieces about 15 years ago.. I think Bespoked Cycles in Settle also toyed with wishbone stays, look nice but leave the rear very stiff.. will
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

So, thank you all for your input!!
Lots of learning here,
I've had a response from USE and they have nothing in their archives about my forks [emoji17]
I've changed the crank now, it's got a 127mm Bottom Bracket, with a screw thread retaining ring both sides, no thread in the frame. Much more sensible crank and she rides lovely again!
Decision made, I'll be selling her in May as I'm modernising to a Trek Roscoe 6
Thanks again guys

fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

Here is a close up of the wide Bottom Bracket with the External shellImage

fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

Current BB at top and I tried to replace with bottom one... Never gonna happenImage

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that looks a bit like an old Mavic BB; they locate into some counterbores in the BB shell. It is not an 'external BB'. If you cleaned the muck off it you might be able to read the maker's mark.

BB shells which are prepped for the Mavic-style BB can still accept a standard BB provided the threads are still there and in good condition. However the shell may never have been tapped in the first place or the threads could be damaged and need to be cleaned up.

[edit; I am pretty sure you have a mavic 616RD bottom bracket there. in trying to fit a shimano one you are attempting to trade caviar for fish and chips. You can read more here http://lecycleur.com/parts/mavic-bottom-bracket/]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 26 Feb 2019, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

Brucey wrote:that looks a bit like an old Mavic BB; they locate into some counterbores in the BB shell. It is not an 'external BB'. If you cleaned the muck off it you might be able to read the maker's mark.

BB shells which are prepped for the Mavic-style BB can still accept a standard BB provided the threads are still there and in good condition. However the shell may never have been tapped in the first place or the threads could be damaged and need to be cleaned up.

cheers
It is a Mavic for sure, there were no threads in the frame at all, I was gutted really, by external I meant the shells on the end secure to the BB not the frame, best way I can describe it, sorry