Campagnolo Record single-pivot brakes – set-up questions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Des49

Re: Campagnolo Record single-pivot brakes – set-up questions

Postby Des49 » 17 Feb 2020, 9:43am

Regarding brake pads for older Campag I have got some from Total Cycling.

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Campagn ... 18737.aspx

They also list some for Record 1974-87.

I have found the pads good in all conditions and it is nice to keep using the original brake shoes.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 17 Feb 2020, 10:03am

I measured the recess in the Gran Sport lever body into which the cable housing protrudes. It’s about 3.0 mm deep at the edge and 6.1 mm wide.

However, the bottom (with the small hole for the inner cable) is bowl-shaped so that it’s deeper in the centre than the edge. May explain why old Campagnolo catalogues show cable housings with curved or conical ends rather than flat (square).

Ebay item number 312990001499 is conical-tipped ferrules. The seller gives their length but not the more important diameter. They’re likely for fat Campagnolo cable housing anyway.

I’ll lubricate the nipple holders with a wee bit of grease since oil might dribble down the lever. The holders are slightly corroded but move freely on my examples.

To my surprise after reading internet reports, I had plenty of braking power with Shimano cables and housings and either Shimano BL-R400 or Dia-Compe GC202 brake levers. One of the latter started to strip as I tightened the bar clamp with a torque wrench to the low end of Shimano’s BL-R400 torque specification (since I couldn’t find a Dia-Compe torque spec anywhere). It stayed in place anyway until I crashed and wrecked the whole show, but I wasn’t as impressed with the internal design of the Dia-Compe GC202 as with its external finish. Of course the Dia-Compe levers, brand new, were half the price of these antique Campagnolos.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 17 Feb 2020, 10:25am

FWIW if the cable housing recess is slightly conical it might have been made like that (eg drilled using a drill with a conical tip) or have worn like that. I have some similar levers knocking about here so I'll check them later and compare.

In any event I am not in favour of conical seatings; if the housing bears against a conical seating the last spiral turn can collapse onto the inner cable with obvious consequences. In addition it seems to encourage the housing to be cocked slightly as the cable enters the lever which causes its own set of problems.

IIRC you can get a thin walled 6.0mm OD ferrule which will allow fitment of a more standard 5.5mm ferrule within it. Depending on what is available this might be the best way.

The MA of modern (ish) levers meant for (pre 2008) DP brakes is a bit lower than many older levers but it is often something like 3.5:1 vs 4:1 on average. This may be noticeable difference rather than a make or break issue; there may be bigger variations that that through the stroke and depending on how your hand fits the lever anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 17 Feb 2020, 2:08pm

I checked my levers and actually the bore (which measures 6.1mm like yours) looks like it might be radiused rather than conical. This can be a reasonable arrangement without a ferrule, since the housing is both centred and bearing against a surface which can be more nearly flat. I have not compared the sizes but it is possible that the best ferrule might be a radiused one such as are found in some dia compe levers; although I have a feeling that they are the wrong diameter, they could presumably be modified to suit.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/diacompe-cable-stop-ferrules-for-aero-brake-levers/

BITD I think I either used no ferrule or a flat bottomed ferrule; out of sight, out of mind. The GS levers I have do bear the scars of the spiral winding, perilously close to the point where they would start to bind against the cable inner.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~