Help to decide between bikes: Scott vs. BMC

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
aaronrv86

Help to decide between bikes: Scott vs. BMC

Post by aaronrv86 »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and a newbie in road bikes (all my life riding MTBs).
I am looking for a second hand bike, and I found two opportunities, so for the experts of the forum: please give me some advice of what to choose and why.

I am 178cm and I cycle daily twice for 9km for commuting. Holidays or days off too.
I found these 2 bikes in London within my budget (I will not upload pictures as the bikes are not mine and I don't want troubles with GDPR):

BMC Race Machine 2014 RM01 full Carbon, size 55, 10 speed Ultegra group set, wheels fulcrum racing 1, Fizik saddle. 2 owners.

Scott CR1 2017. Full carbon, size 54, Shimano 105, Schwable tyres on shimano a500 rims. Owner says used for a couple of weeks only. 1 owner.

Both look well kept although the Scott looks almost new. BMC is 50% more expensive (£500 vs. £750). BMC looks amazing to me. Scott looks a bargain.
Both bikes can be found on facebook marketplace if you want to see the pictures.

what do you think?

thanks a lot in advance,
Aaron.
Last edited by aaronrv86 on 20 Feb 2019, 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElCani

Re: Help to decide between bikes: Scott vs. BMC

Post by ElCani »

Is this for commuting? In all weathers? If it is I would personally want full mudguards and a rack and, in general, probably something a little tougher and more comfortable than a carbon road bike. Which is not say you can’t commute on either of those bikes...
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

To add (and partially address your actual question!), I haven’t looked at the two bikes but it’s quite probable the Scott takes bigger tyres than the BMC, and may also have mudguard mounts. Both of these are desirable in a bike that will be used in all conditions. In general the latest road bikes are are a bit better in this regard that those from a few years ago. Check the specs closely.
aaronrv86

Post by aaronrv86 »

ElCani wrote:To add (and partially address your actual question!), I haven’t looked at the two bikes but it’s quite probable the Scott takes bigger tyres than the BMC, and may also have mudguard mounts. Both of these are desirable in a bike that will be used in all conditions. In general the latest road bikes are are a bit better in this regard that those from a few years ago. Check the specs closely.

Hi ElCani, thanks for your answers.

Yes, it'll be for commuting twice a day for 9km not in rainy days, as I do now with my 8 year old MTB.
The Scott bike has no mudguards but the BMC has one in the back of it, quite small behind the seat post.

thanks again,
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Ok. Just had a look at the Scott and it’s a 2014 model, so what I said about tyre clearances probably doesn’t apply. Couldn’t see the BMC.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I don't think either bike is well suited to commuting although you may be able to make them work

Will you commute daily come what may or will you take another means if it's unpleasant out?

Will you also be using the bike for weekend rides of some distance (road training type rides) or only for round town use?
aaronrv86

Post by aaronrv86 »

alexnharvey wrote:I don't think either bike is well suited to commuting although you may be able to make them work

Will you commute daily come what may or will you take another means if it's unpleasant out?

Will you also be using the bike for weekend rides of some distance (road training type rides) or only for round town use?

Hi, thanks for your answer.
I take it daily as long as it doesn’t rain much, otherwise I’ll take train+Brompton.
When I say commuting I mean riding fast to and from work (I have a shower at work), so it’s not a bike to ride in a medium effort but high on bpm.

Yes, it’s meant to be for weekend rides no longer than 30 or 40 km too.

And I also would like a bike that last few years as my previous one.

If you think none of the bikes are appropriate I will consider that, I really appreciate your intakes.

Thank you
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

If you’re set up to ride fast to work, don’t need to carry much and have another bike for bad weather, then I think a road bike can work well enough. Is it 9km each way?
aaronrv86

Post by aaronrv86 »

ElCani wrote:If you’re set up to ride fast to work, don’t need to carry much and have another bike for bad weather, then I think a road bike can work well enough. Is it 9km each way?

Yes, it's 9km each way, that's about 20-25 minutes depending on traffic.

Regarding that 2 bikes, what do you think on the specs vs. price?
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Bit hard to say as I haven't seen the BMC advert. But I'm slightly suspicious of the Scott's description, it looks like it's been used for more than two weeks and is a 2014 model. Perhaps the owner bought it used last year, in which case the fact that he or she has only used it for two weeks is irrelevant...

This looks decent: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 491753977/
aaronrv86

Post by aaronrv86 »

ElCani wrote:Bit hard to say as I haven't seen the BMC advert. But I'm slightly suspicious of the Scott's description, it looks like it's been used for more than two weeks and is a 2014 model. Perhaps the owner bought it used last year, in which case the fact that he or she has only used it for two weeks is irrelevant...

This looks decent: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 491753977/

Thanks, it really does.

Please see the BMC here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 515740712/
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Of the now three, the Cannondale would be my first choice, then the Scott, then the BMC. BMC seems a little over priced. But condition plays a big part when buying a used bike, if parts like the chain, cassette, bottom bracket etc need replacing then you can end up paying a lot more than you intended to. You want to check very carefully for any signs of crash damage too.

If you have the tools and skills to work on your bike then worn parts are less of a financial problem, obviously.