Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Re: Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Bonefishblues wrote:
ElCani wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:Bizarre that Spa even show that stack of spacers - usually the sign of a beginner cyclist, however the trade seems to be full of people who have little knowledge and experience.

That definitely doesn’t apply to the people at Spa Cycles...

No, it's part of their philosophy not to cut the steerer, but to allow you to make that call once you're absolutely sure where you want your stem and bars. Eminently sensible, but not modern sexy, as it were.

Well, well, well.
Learn a little more each day.
I had no idea that you were meant to cut the top off the steerer once you had settled on the position of the stem and bars.

Possibly nobody mentioned it because I have the bars as high as they can go. :lol:

It does make me wonder if you have to replace the stem if you sell the bike on.
Or do you just fit a stem extender?

Edit:
I asked here before buying the Wayfarer and there was an overwhelming "Go on, buy a Spa!".
Now I have it everyone is calling my baby ugly. :cry:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

does a wayfarer look like Winston Churchill then?.... :?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

Brucey wrote:rod brakes are a bit fancy aren't they? What's wrong with a spoon brake anyway?

cheers

SRAM has carbon westwood pattern rims coming for their hyrdo-stirrup brakes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You don't replace the steering column, as suggested just above, when selling a bike. The potential buyer just decides if what's there is ok. I doubt that its a really big deal though. Whilst there will always be a few people who do things differently, (fair enough) on the whole people with the same body size as the previous owner will want the stem at roughly the same height. The type of bike will to some extent also dictate this. You won't be wanting a sit up and beg position on an aero race bike. If you need something really out of the ordinary then possibly you need a different bike.
Of course you can always drop the stem a bit and a different angled stem can make up for a slightly short steering column.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

mattsccm wrote:You don't replace the steering column, as suggested just above, when selling a bike. The potential buyer just decides if what's there is ok. I doubt that its a really big deal though. Whilst there will always be a few people who do things differently, (fair enough) on the whole people with the same body size as the previous owner will want the stem at roughly the same height. The type of bike will to some extent also dictate this. You won't be wanting a sit up and beg position on an aero race bike. If you need something really out of the ordinary then possibly you need a different bike.
Of course you can always drop the stem a bit and a different angled stem can make up for a slightly short steering column.

Just musing that if the options are considered useful for the first owner then they might be useful for subsequent owners.
There is certainly a lot of scope for adjustment, down to slamming the stem.

However looking (and possibly learning) it seems that the forks and steerer are all one piece so you would be talking of £100 for new forks to get back the lost metal.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
mattsccm wrote:You don't replace the steering column, as suggested just above, when selling a bike. The potential buyer just decides if what's there is ok. I doubt that its a really big deal though. Whilst there will always be a few people who do things differently, (fair enough) on the whole people with the same body size as the previous owner will want the stem at roughly the same height. The type of bike will to some extent also dictate this. You won't be wanting a sit up and beg position on an aero race bike. If you need something really out of the ordinary then possibly you need a different bike.

Just musing that if the options are considered useful for the first owner then they might be useful for subsequent owners.

However looking (and possibly learning) it seems that the forks and steerer are all one piece so you would be talking of £100 for new forks to get back the lost metal.

This is one of the reasons Aheadset stems were seen by some people, me included, as a retrograde step compared with the older, more adjustable, quill stems.

You are lucky if Spa left the steerer tube uncut....many bike shops/ distributors hack the steerer tube down before you even get to see the bike so it looks "sexy" in the showroom. Unfortunately this deliberate vandalism cant be undone by the buyer!

Aheadset forks pretty much guaranteed the market for stem raisers.... :-)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

zenitb wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:

This is one of the reasons Aheadset stems were seen by some people, me included, as a retrograde step compared with the older, more adjustable, quill stems.

You are lucky if Spa left the steerer tube uncut....many bike shops/ distributors hack the steerer tube down before you even get to see the bike so it looks "sexy" in the showroom. Unfortunately this deliberate vandalism cant be undone by the buyer!

Aheadset forks pretty much guaranteed the market for stem raisers.... :-)

In fairness the bikes with 'slammed down' stems seen on sale in most shops usually have CF forks with either aluminium or CF steerers which have a very limited number of spacers under the stem for safety's sake,not so steel steerers..
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

If helps I see a few people have mentioned a Genesis Vagabond. I like my Genesis Vagabond one of my better buys. Built it up with 50c and mudguards great for touring compliant and will handle rough stuff. I like it so much I have bought another frame which I am likely to build with top end components and a different drive train. Plan to tour Spain Portugal in April May, and then the Hebridean way/North Coast Cycle Route the rest of the year. Frame is a bit heavy but no heavier than my other tourers usually save weight by not taking stuff I don't need. cheers Peter
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

truckturner wrote:If helps I see a few people have mentioned a Genesis Vagabond. I like my Genesis Vagabond one of my better buys. Built it up with 50c and mudguards great for touring compliant and will handle rough stuff. I like it so much I have bought another frame which I am likely to build with top end components and a different drive train. Plan to tour Spain Portugal in April May, and then the Hebridean way/North Coast Cycle Route the rest of the year. Frame is a bit heavy but no heavier than my other tourers usually save weight by not taking stuff I don't need. cheers Peter

As Shand will not to QR frame. I am going to go for the Vagabond
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pedals2slowly wrote:
truckturner wrote:If helps I see a few people have mentioned a Genesis Vagabond. I like my Genesis Vagabond one of my better buys. Built it up with 50c and mudguards great for touring compliant and will handle rough stuff. I like it so much I have bought another frame which I am likely to build with top end components and a different drive train. Plan to tour Spain Portugal in April May, and then the Hebridean way/North Coast Cycle Route the rest of the year. Frame is a bit heavy but no heavier than my other tourers usually save weight by not taking stuff I don't need. cheers Peter

As Shand will not to QR frame. I am going to go for the Vagabond

Unless the stock bike build meets your needs I'd go for the frameset and build it up to suit.Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I originally bought the stock bike mostly due to a ex demo deal however I did not like the drive train the bar ends don't work well compared to Shimano, I could live with the wheels and brakes and finishing kit though. Def go for custom build the frame deserves it cheers Peter
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

truckturner wrote:I originally bought the stock bike mostly due to a ex demo deal however I did not like the drive train the bar ends don't work well compared to Shimano, I could live with the wheels and brakes and finishing kit though. Def go for custom build the frame deserves it cheers Peter

just ordered a 2019 Vagabond Frame, will be transferring all my parts over to it and now I can fit wider tyres, AND it's a better colour for photo's!!!!!
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

I've taken your word for it and gone for it! Thank you.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I would be interested in your build spec when complete cheers