Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Re: Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Feb 2019, 5:29pm

pedals2slowly wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:So do any of the suggestions so far resonate?

yes, thanks everybody for contributions so far.

The list seems to be growing day by day.
Main issue seems to be getting frame weights out of manufacturers and a proper understanding of what the tyre clearances are.

Is it modern insurance claim risk aversion that makes manufacturers build such beefy frames?
I've off road toured on good old flexi 531 'racing frames with no issues, the only frame breaks were a Dawes Galaxy and a Claud Butler.

I strongly suspect the available frame colour will be the deciding factor :lol:

More ideas welcome

Hmmm, go on, what colour does sir* want then?

*or not sir

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 26 Feb 2019, 5:37pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:So do any of the suggestions so far resonate?

yes, thanks everybody for contributions so far.
Main issue seems to be getting frame weights out of manufacturers and a proper understanding of what the tyre clearances are.
Is it modern insurance claim risk aversion that makes manufacturers build such beefy frames?
I've off road toured on good old flexi 531 'racing frames with no issues, the only frame breaks were a Dawes Galaxy and a Claud Butler.
More ideas welcome

*or not sir

It must be photogenic, probably glossy and bright, (not black, grey or white) to 'suit me' (sir or not, apparently it doesn't matter these days)
I'm actually thinking ( as per usual) I'll have to go round the local bike shops to make my final choice.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Feb 2019, 5:49pm

pedals2slowly wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:yes, thanks everybody for contributions so far.
More ideas welcome

*or not sir

It must be photogenic, probably glossy and bright, (not black, grey or white) to 'suit me' (sir or not, apparently it doesn't matter these days)
I'm actually thinking ( as per usual) I'll have to go round the local bike shops to make my final choice.

Sonder. Blue. Shiny. Suit you.

Spa are great, but they err towards the funereal hues :)

Genesis are a bit right on, earthy, moss-alike.

Forgot the rest :D

Scottish Scrutineer

Postby Scottish Scrutineer » 26 Feb 2019, 6:39pm

I was going to suggest a Croix de Fer.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Feb 2019, 6:46pm

Scottish Scrutineer wrote:I was going to suggest a Croix de Fer.

I don't think it would meet the OP's tyre section size criteria of 50mm
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa

Postby pwa » 26 Feb 2019, 7:35pm

pedals2slowly wrote:[

More ideas welcome

Having ridden loaded touring bikes with slim tubes and wider tubes, the latter handle better with a load. They steer better. A beefy frame like Spa use will be more assured with a load. But I bet the dull colour schemes are putting you off. It's a pity because the actual tubes are a step up from the tubes on something like the Tour de Fer.

Also bear in mind that the stack of spacers you see above stem level on pictures of Spa bikes is normally not there when you have finished playing with handlebar height. You remove the excess with a hacksaw, a quick, neat and painless exercise.

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 26 Feb 2019, 8:31pm

reohn2 wrote:
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:I was going to suggest a Croix de Fer.

I don't think it would meet the OP's tyre section size criteria of 50mm

Correct I have friends with Croix de Fer, or should that be 'des Croix de Feur' they don't 'cut the mustard'
Also still quite heavy

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 26 Feb 2019, 8:42pm

pwa wrote:Having ridden loaded touring bikes with slim tubes and wider tubes, the latter handle better with a load. They steer better. A beefy frame like Spa use will be more assured with a load. But I bet the dull colour schemes are putting you off. It's a pity because the actual tubes are a step up from the tubes on something like the Tour de Fer.

Also bear in mind that the stack of spacers you see above stem level on pictures of Spa bikes is normally not there when you have finished playing with handlebar height. You remove the excess with a hacksaw, a quick, neat and painless exercise.

I can get everything I need for cycle-camping in a Camper longflap and bonk bag, anything more (i.e winter) and (not too) low rider fronts solve handling problems.
Bizarre that Spa even show that stack of spacers - usually the sign of a beginner cyclist, however the trade seems to be full of people who have little knowledge and experience. I noticed today the Wiggle website states the Ragley Trig forks are 'Aluminium' :lol:

ElCani

Postby ElCani » 26 Feb 2019, 8:59pm

pedals2slowly wrote:Bizarre that Spa even show that stack of spacers - usually the sign of a beginner cyclist, however the trade seems to be full of people who have little knowledge and experience.

That definitely doesn’t apply to the people at Spa Cycles...

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Feb 2019, 9:04pm

ElCani wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:Bizarre that Spa even show that stack of spacers - usually the sign of a beginner cyclist, however the trade seems to be full of people who have little knowledge and experience.

No, it's part of their philosophy not to cut the steerer, but to allow you to make that call once you're absolutely sure where you want your stem and bars. Eminently sensible, but not modern sexy, as it were.

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 26 Feb 2019, 9:13pm

ElCani wrote:

Sorry veering off thread - lets stick to steel 'adventure bikes - i currently have a list of 14 different makes, some with more than one model - I can feel a spreadsheet coming on...............

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 26 Feb 2019, 9:26pm

Brucey wrote:as suggested upthread

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b17s21p3866/SPA-CYCLES-Wayfarer

...any good?

cheers

That may be a nice bike, but obviously too small for the rider and that long length of steerer tube above the stem is ridiculous and dangerous in a crash to boot.

ElCani

Postby ElCani » 26 Feb 2019, 9:33pm

It’s not how I would choose to present the bike, but they must be doing it to illustrate that they leave the steerer uncut to allow the buyer maximum flexibility in terms of fit. I’d have just written that in the description.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Feb 2019, 9:34pm

ElCani wrote:It’s not how I would choose to present the bike, but they must be doing it to illustrate that they leave the steerer uncut to allow the buyer maximum flexibility in terms of fit. I’d have just written that in the description.

...is exactly what they do.

ElCani

Postby ElCani » 26 Feb 2019, 9:44pm

Really? I don’t see it (viewing on a mobile).