26" wheels going out of fashion?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9980
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Cunobelin » 4 Mar 2019, 6:13am

Mixed use of "26" wheels, they were used for MTBs, but then there was a fashion for more robust tourers with these wheels

So you had a choice of 2" or the more standard 700c

THen some bright spark discovered "700c" with a rim of 22mm rim, and decided to relaunch them as the "29er"

So, in reality, we have had no real change, apart fromMTBs mTBs using an age-old wheel diameter with a new marketing name

simonhill
Posts: 2696
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby simonhill » 4 Mar 2019, 8:26am

Lawnet, I was only talking in relation to spares following on from this post and some others.

Boring_Username wrote:If I understand correctly then one of the reasons for 26" being advanced as the standard for expedition touring bikes is that 26" replacement wheels are more widely available in far flung lands. This may become less valid?


My point was you could get a 26" 'get you going' spare wheel, tyre, tube, etc in most towns and look likely to be able to for the foreseeable future. No chance with a 700 and from my limited research you would struggle with the other sizes you mention away from the big cities.

I was not recommending buying a cheapo 26 bike in Asia. Presumably most (all?) tourers will come with their own bikes.

However, if you want to buy, there are some good quality bikes available, Surly for example. I have also seen a good quality Surly-alike out of Kunming (ie Chinese copy).

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5954
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Sweep » 4 Mar 2019, 11:49am

Any comfort?

A Rose Bikes filter on 26 inch wheels brings up 64 results.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike-parts/ ... B%5D=26%22

Search filter on tyres and tubes

123 results

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike-parts/ ... =price_asc

Admittedly I haven't seached through to check their toughness/suitability for touring.

Hopefully will keep me and my much loved pretty recently bought Ridgeback Expedition running?

I do remember being told several years ago in an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op shop that 26 inch was the past - after I enquired about not seeing on the shop floor their previously well regarded 26 inch tourer.

a fair while after that I bought the Ridgeback Expedition.


My Ridgeback Expedition is 2016 and I know for sure that there is a 2017 version - would Ridgeback, linked to a leading distributor and very sensible bike folk in my experience have launched a bike they thought was going to be left high and dry?
Sweep

Brucey
Posts: 36822
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Brucey » 4 Mar 2019, 11:52am

actually I looked on SJS and there were more options than I expected. You can't get mavic rims in 36hx559 any more though....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5954
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Sweep » 4 Mar 2019, 11:58am

Brucey wrote:actually I looked on SJS and there were more options than I expected. You can't get mavic rims in 36hx559 any more though....?

cheers

Is there a partucular issue with 36H brucey?

I didn't have time to look through the Rose Bikes list to divde into 32/36H and I don't think there was a rapid filter option.

If it's 36 hole that is a particular issue main priority to stock up on 36H for rear?

32H OK and possibly weaker rim OK for front?

Re mavic, after that recent thread on disappearing rims, is that such a loss?
Last edited by Sweep on 4 Mar 2019, 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

thelawnet
Posts: 2282
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby thelawnet » 4 Mar 2019, 11:59am

simonhill wrote:Lawnet, I was only talking in relation to spares following on from this post and some others.

Boring_Username wrote:If I understand correctly then one of the reasons for 26" being advanced as the standard for expedition touring bikes is that 26" replacement wheels are more widely available in far flung lands. This may become less valid?


My point was you could get a 26" 'get you going' spare wheel, tyre, tube, etc in most towns and look likely to be able to for the foreseeable future. No chance with a 700 and from my limited research you would struggle with the other sizes you mention away from the big cities.


If you really want to get going I suppose you can stick the wrong size wheel in your frame.

I was not recommending buying a cheapo 26 bike in Asia. Presumably most (all?) tourers will come with their own bikes.


No I wasn't suggesting that, rather that the (vaguely decent) bikes being sold are 27.5" (and 29"), not 26", and this feeds through to availability of tyres etc.

Brucey
Posts: 36822
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Brucey » 4 Mar 2019, 1:34pm

Sweep wrote:Any comfort?

A Rose Bikes filter on 26 inch wheels brings up 64 results.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike-parts/ ... B%5D=26%22



yebbut

a) that is wheels not rims and
b) their listings and filters are a bit wonky.


if you try

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike-parts/rims?size%5B%5D=26%22&size%5B%5D=Number+of+holes+36

then you get 29 hits, the majority of which are rims which are...…

….the wrong size.

If you look through these and (say) look for rim brake rims which are reasonably strong and come in 36 drilling 559 size (such as you might use on a touring machine) then you are down to just a few.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mercalia
Posts: 12363
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby mercalia » 4 Mar 2019, 4:37pm

just had a look at SJS and 26" x36 Sputniks - they dont seem to have any listed? :shock:

cycle tramp
Posts: 609
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby cycle tramp » 4 Mar 2019, 6:49pm

...h'mmm.... I wonder if it's not the size of the rim which may fall out of fashion, but rather any size of wheel with a 36 spoke hole pattern and a decent rim thickness which allows for rim brake use

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5954
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Sweep » 4 Mar 2019, 6:57pm

cycle tramp wrote:...h'mmm.... I wonder if it's not the size of the rim which may fall out of fashion, but rather any size of wheel with a 36 spoke hole pattern and a decent rim thickness which allows for rim brake use


Good question.
Sweep

AMMoffat
Posts: 223
Joined: 1 Dec 2007, 1:05pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby AMMoffat » 5 Mar 2019, 12:23pm

Brucey wrote:actually I looked on SJS and there were more options than I expected. You can't get mavic rims in 36hx559 any more though....?

cheers


https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/xm-117-j26 ... &1039=3515. Any LBS should be able to get hold of one of these even though not sold online in the UK. Also an option in disc rims.

tmac100
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 May 2016, 1:47pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby tmac100 » 5 Mar 2019, 4:02pm

Brucey wrote:who gives a monkey's what current MTBs use? I don't.

But FWIW if you want quality (strong not too heavy) 559 rims in 36h you have practically missed the boat.
Tyre manufacturers will keep on making tyres for 'obsolete' rims as long as they are selling enough to be worthwhile.
There are still lots of niche machines that use 559mm rims and tyres so between that and the demand for tyres on extant machines I don't think you are going to be completely stuck for tyres for a long while yet, but the range of choice will certainly diminish.
cheers


Ditto! My 26" tourer with 48 spokes (front et back) has stood the test of time. Phtooey what the market thinks. Oh, I use bar ends, have a steel frame and PW hubs and BB. Saddle? Why Brooks B17. Not marketplace stuff, and I don't care. I get Schwalbe Marathons and have a couple spares all the time while outback touring...

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7168
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Bonefishblues » 5 Mar 2019, 4:21pm

tmac100 wrote:
Brucey wrote:who gives a monkey's what current MTBs use? I don't.

But FWIW if you want quality (strong not too heavy) 559 rims in 36h you have practically missed the boat.
Tyre manufacturers will keep on making tyres for 'obsolete' rims as long as they are selling enough to be worthwhile.
There are still lots of niche machines that use 559mm rims and tyres so between that and the demand for tyres on extant machines I don't think you are going to be completely stuck for tyres for a long while yet, but the range of choice will certainly diminish.
cheers


Ditto! My 26" tourer with 48 spokes (front et back) has stood the test of time. Phtooey what the market thinks. Oh, I use bar ends, have a steel frame and PW hubs and BB. Saddle? Why Brooks B17. Not marketplace stuff, and I don't care. I get Schwalbe Marathons and have a couple spares all the time while outback touring...

What are you running, out of interest?

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5954
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Sweep » 12 Mar 2019, 1:43pm

My imagination or did Spa do a 26 inch wheeled bike of their own but no more?

They still do the wheels at the moment of course.

Would be very interested in 531colin's take on this issue.
Sweep

Freddie
Posts: 2329
Joined: 12 Jan 2008, 12:01pm

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Postby Freddie » 12 Mar 2019, 3:09pm

Was the bike industry reading the CTC Forum (when it was still called that) 4 or 5 years ago when I suggested the better general use/touring wheel size is 650B (only B because it had some niche traction at the time) and that it should be the standard for touring bikes. I remember CJ saying it would be a pain for the LBS to carry three sizes of wheels/tyres, but it seems like for all but the cheapest bikes 26" is dying out.

26" (559) is a bit of an anomaly tbh, the only reason it is in widespread use is because Gary Fisher et al used it for bikes to ride down Repack Hill. It was the only size in which they could source knobbly tyres, at the time.

For all but the smallest riders, 650 wheels build into better bikes without the toe overlap issues of mudguard shod 700 wheels on all, save the largest frames.