26" wheels going out of fashion?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonhill

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Post by simonhill »

The bottom line is that for some time you will be able to get good strong 26" rims, you just might not be able to get the ones of your choice, eg Sputniks. If you think how much Schwalbe (for example) have changed their touring tyre range over the years, rims have been remarkably stable.

Maybe I'll take Ivor's advice, new forks, new wheel, disc brakes - phew that'll save me the £20 cost of replacing my worn out rim.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:The bottom line is that for some time you will be able to get good strong 26" rims, you just might not be able to get the ones of your choice, eg Sputniks. If you think how much Schwalbe (for example) have changed their touring tyre range over the years, rims have been remarkably stable.

Maybe I'll take Ivor's advice, new forks, new wheel, disc brakes - phew that'll save me the £20 cost of replacing my worn out rim.

Apoligies if you have answered upthread simon but is there something you would recommend as a replacement for sputniks if supplies should dry up?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It seems that Ryde's alternative to the Sputnik is the Andra 30. I've just had a new wheel built by my LBS with one. I wanted Sputnik, but they couldn't get one via their usual wholesaler. Stocks are available elsewhere, but the shop doesn't buy that way

It is a similar (same?) rim but no eylets.

https://www.ryde.nl/rims-search--4-0-0--
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonhill wrote:It seems that Ryde's alternative to the Sputnik is the Andra 30. I've just had a new wheel built by my LBS with one. I wanted Sputnik, but they couldn't get one via their usual wholesaler. Stocks are available elsewhere, but the shop doesn't buy that way

It is a similar (same?) rim but no eylets.

https://www.ryde.nl/rims-search--4-0-0--

This is the line I mentioned earlier - seemingly a favoured rim for Expedition cyclists. I am looking at Andra 40s for tandem rim replacements. They aren't short of metal, for sure!
toontra

Post by toontra »

Ivor Tingting wrote: I wouldn't tour in remote places for an extended time or distance on a bike with rim brakes any longer.

I'm quite the opposite. Having successfully toured in remote places with rim brakes for years (over very rough terrain at times) I'd be very reluctant to switch.

I would worry about the rotors getting bent when the bike is dismantled and packed for flying, and if there were problems with the hydraulics I wouldn't have a clue how to fix them. Mechanical parts can normally be repaired or bodged.

If the braking surfaces of your rims have plenty of life in them and you have some spare brake blocks you should be OK.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

toontra wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote: I wouldn't tour in remote places for an extended time or distance on a bike with rim brakes any longer.

I'm quite the opposite. Having successfully toured in remote places with rim brakes for years (over very rough terrain at times) I'd be very reluctant to switch.

I would worry about the rotors getting bent when the bike is dismantled and packed for flying, and if there were problems with the hydraulics I wouldn't have a clue how to fix them. Mechanical parts can normally be repaired or bodged.

If the braking surfaces of your rims have plenty of life in them and you have some spare brake blocks you should be OK.

Warning Luddite alert! Ok you stick with old technology. If it works for you fine, but don't spread misinformation about applications you may not use or have little or no experience of to support your agenda but are merely repeating anecdotal evidence from people with an agenda. I have at least used both brake systems extensively as I have both disc and rim braked bikes. The rim brake bikes predating my disc brake bikes.

First off I have never had or know of anyone who has suffered a bent disc brake rotor. I suppose it could happen but highly unlikely. In any case replacement disc brakes rotors are now widely available, much more so than sourcing a suitable replacement wheel rim for your heavily laden touring bike. A buckled rim braked wheel rim means you cannot continue to use rim brakes if the buckle is significant. With disc brakes no such problem.

Hydraulic brake systems are far superior and much more reliable than cable brake systems. They just are. I have none of the maintenance issues with hydraulic disc brakes that I used to have with cable rim brakes. I don't know why you imply hydraulic brakes aren't mechanical parts, they are.

If braking surfaces of wheel rims have plenty of life they might not after cycling several thousand demanding miles in challenging conditions. No such problems with disc brakes.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
toontra wrote:

Warning Luddite alert! Ok you stick with old technology. If it works for you fine, but don't spread misinformation about applications you may not use or have little or no experience of to support your agenda but are merely repeating anecdotal evidence from people with an agenda. I have at least used both brake systems extensively as I have both disc and rim braked bikes. The rim brake bikes predating my disc brake bikes.

First off I have never had or know of anyone who has suffered a bent disc brake rotor. I suppose it could happen but highly unlikely. In any case replacement disc brakes rotors are now widely available, much more so than sourcing a suitable replacement wheel rim for your heavily laden touring bike. A buckled rim braked wheel rim means you cannot continue to use rim brakes if the buckle is significant. With disc brakes no such problem.

Hydraulic brake systems are far superior and much more reliable than cable brake systems. They just are. I have none of the maintenance issues with hydraulic disc brakes that I used to have with cable rim brakes. I don't know why you imply hydraulic brakes aren't mechanical parts, they are.

If braking surfaces of wheel rims have plenty of life they might not after cycling several thousand demanding miles in challenging conditions. No such problems with disc brakes.

Firstly, I have no "agenda". I am merely posting my thoughts on the subject. No idea why you are so hostile to other people's opinions.

Secondly, I'm not a "luddite". I have bikes with both rim and disk brakes. I use the disk variety for off-road MTBing. I use the rim for touring.

Do try and control yourself.
Last edited by toontra on 6 Apr 2019, 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's good to discuss different views, but the use of terms like Luddite doesn't help, IMHO. Both perspectives have their merits.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks simon and bonefish - if the Andra is still going to be available, unless I have missed something, it seems that I can relax about rims and wheels for my Ridgeback expedition 26 inch. Thank you.

Tingling - I really do think you should depart this thread - which seems to me to be for folk wondering aloud/seeking info about continued availability of rims and wheels for their bikes.

I think there are a few threads on disc brakes vis a vis rims - why don't you join one of those?

Or start another thread?

I think there are also threads on hydraulic brake activation. Ditto. I might even join it - I have experience of them.
Sweep
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I expect 26" wheels will move out of fashion, such is the way the world works these days. So far however, I have yet to replace a worn out 27.5" tyre at work, and hardly any punctured tube replacements, so in the real commuter world they have not filtered out that far despite being on Carrera models (and others no doubt).
Ryde still list 36 hole rims in both Sputnik and Andra 30
https://www.ryde.nl/andra-30
https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik
The Andra has no eyelets on the spoke holes, but the metal at the spoke hole is about twice that of the Sputnik and is listed with a higher max spoke tension (1400N vs 1300N). Otherwise the rim section looks the same. The Andra is listed as max weight 180kg and OK for e bike 45kmph, the Spunik has a red X in these boxes.
(One of) the UK distibutors (Chicken) list 36h rims - Sputnik in 700c only, and Andra30 in 26".
That said, what is listed and what is available are not always the same..... and for how long they remain available is anyone's guess.

I always used to subscribe to the rim braked expedition bike (bucked disc etc). I find rims wear so quickly these days I've more or less finished (mentally) the move to cable discs. My camper however is unable to follow as it won't take discs. May be an excuse for a new bike!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PT1029 wrote:I expect 26" wheels will move out of fashion, such is the way the world works these days. So far however, I have yet to replace a worn out 27.5" tyre at work, and hardly any punctured tube replacements, so in the real commuter world they have not filtered out that far despite being on Carrera models (and others no doubt).
Ryde still list 36 hole rims in both Sputnik and Andra 30
https://www.ryde.nl/andra-30
https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik
The Andra has no eyelets on the spoke holes, but the metal at the spoke hole is about twice that of the Sputnik and is listed with a higher max spoke tension (1400N vs 1300N). Otherwise the rim section looks the same. The Andra is listed as max weight 180kg and OK for e bike 45kmph, the Spunik has a red X in these boxes.
(One of) the UK distibutors (Chicken) list 36h rims - Sputnik in 700c only, and Andra30 in 26".
That said, what is listed and what is available are not always the same..... and for how long they remain available is anyone's guess.

I always used to subscribe to the rim braked expedition bike (bucked disc etc). I find rims wear so quickly these days I've more or less finished (mentally) the move to cable discs. My camper however is unable to follow as it won't take discs. May be an excuse for a new bike!

The Andra 30 is 130kg limit IIRC, having looked yesterday. The Andra 40 is the 180kg limit.

Yep: https://www.ryde.nl/andra-30
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the logic is amazing;

Problem: you occasionally (once every 15000 miles?) are going to need some rims that cost about £20 each. There is currently 'only' a choice of about a dozen or more different rims that will do the job.

Proposed Solution: New bike.... :shock: :shock:

NB there is absolutely nothing stopping you from buying a couple of pairs of your favourite rims now, 'just in case'. They are cheaper and longer lasting than decent tyres are.... I would imagine that in ten year's time, you will still be able to source 559mm rims and tyres in some countries more easily than 584 or 622 size.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:the logic is amazing;

Problem: you occasionally (once every 15000 miles?) are going to need some rims that cost about £20 each. There is currently 'only' a choice of about a dozen or more different rims that will do the job.

Proposed Solution: New bike.... :shock: :shock:

NB there is absolutely nothing stopping you from buying a couple of pairs of your favourite rims now, 'just in case'. They are cheaper and longer lasting than decent tyres are.... I would imagine that in ten year's time, you will still be able to source 559mm rims and tyres in some countries more easily than 584 or 622 size.

cheers

:lol:

It is the modern way!

Which 36 hole tandem rims would you recommend Brucey (for our 25 year old tandem, I hasten to add. Ultimate durability required, don't want to be looking for rims again so soon! :D )
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Brucey,
Fair point, however....
I didn't say I'd need a new bike, I said it might be an excuse for a new bike. No necessarily the same thing!
Might be an excuse for a Rohloff too....
Getting a new bike can be fun, I've not done that since 1994.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bonefish, your link to the Ryde website shows Sputniks as only available in 700 (622mm).

The Andra is available in 700 and 26 (559).

This is why I mentioned them in the first place.