26" wheels going out of fashion?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandriver

Re: 26" wheels going out of fashion?

Post by iandriver »

They really don't seem to have caught on in the UK yet, but for an economic, strong rim, I really think these from DT Swiss take some beating.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/trekking/535/

Ignore the blurb about e bikes.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

simonhill wrote:just looking at the Ryde (formerly Rigida) website and see that they don't do the Sputnik in 26" (559) any more.

The similar rim would be the no eyelet Andra 30.

https://www.ryde.nl/rims-search--4-0-0--

Whats wrong with the Ryde 559 ZAC19 as used by taylor-wheels.de?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
simonhill wrote:just looking at the Ryde (formerly Rigida) website and see that they don't do the Sputnik in 26" (559) any more.

The similar rim would be the no eyelet Andra 30.

https://www.ryde.nl/rims-search--4-0-0--

Whats wrong with the Ryde 559 ZAC19 as used by taylor-wheels.de?

Umm... looks like the Zac 19 is ALSO discontinued in 26" ... looks like the OP was on to something !!!
The very similar Zac 2000 is still available in 26" though, with a 36 spoke option .. for now at least !!!

Shame because I have built wheels with the Sputnik and Zac 19 in 26" / 36 hole and like both rims

https://www.ryde.nl/zac-19

https://www.ryde.nl/zac-2000
Attachments
Zac 19 discontinued in 26.JPG
Zac 2000 still available in 26.JPG
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

zenitb wrote:...

Drat and double drat...
I was puzzled by what the difference between the zac19 and zac-2000 was though.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

FWIW my 2p thoughts are that now disc brakes are so much more common the old arguments for having a particular size of wheel e.g. 26" for say long distance extended tours such as RTW cycling, have been largely negated. Rim brakes have been superceeded by disc brakes not only because they are superior in performance in all conditions and weather, but because they do not grind down a bike's wheel rims like rim brakes do. I wouldn't tour in remote places for an extended time or distance on a bike with rim brakes any longer. I do concede that disc brake wheel rims can still get damaged but the chance of this happening are low unless you and your bike are sadly run down and the wheel is pringled, but otherwise a disc rim of what ever size is going to last a whole lot longer than a rim braked rim. It simply is. Nevertheless I have accumulated a small stock of wheel rims, tyres and tubes and other components I feel might become obsolete in years to come. Picked them up at very good prices as well. i suppose tyres could be a limiting factor for say 26" rims as these are consumables. But Schwalbe don't show any sign of curtailing 26" production for some of their popular commuting, touring or expedition tyres, yet.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

iandriver wrote:They really don't seem to have caught on in the UK yet, but for an economic, strong rim, I really think these from DT Swiss take some beating.

Yes, these do look good. Though the 26" 36h Sputniks do seem to have an extra 90g of metal on them, so assume the Sputniks may have thicker sidewalls.

The DT rims I have built are very nice and true, but they do seem to often lack 36 hole options in some 700c road rims.

I may well get a few 26" 36 hole Sputnik rims to keep in reserve.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Ivor Tingting wrote:FWIW my 2p thoughts are that now disc brakes are so much more common the old arguments for having a particular size of wheel e.g. 26" for say long distance extended tours such as RTW cycling, have been largely negated. Rim brakes have been superceeded by disc brakes not only because they are superior in performance in all conditions and weather, but because they do not grind down a bike's wheel rims like rim brakes do. .

But it would be good if those of us who don't share your view had an ongoing alternative.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

fastpedaller wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:FWIW my 2p thoughts are that now disc brakes are so much more common the old arguments for having a particular size of wheel e.g. 26" for say long distance extended tours such as RTW cycling, have been largely negated. Rim brakes have been superceeded by disc brakes not only because they are superior in performance in all conditions and weather, but because they do not grind down a bike's wheel rims like rim brakes do. .

But it would be good if those of us who don't share your view had an ongoing alternative.

And what view do you share as you don't seem to have commented in this thread?

You'll just have to get newer better spec components which are considerably better anyway. Can't live in the past for ever as much as you would like to. Prices have come down a lot in recent years. Making changes is not as expensive as it used to be. So future proof your bike and self by getting some disc brake wheels then you don't have to worry about knackered and worn out rims every few years meaning new wheels. Simples.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

A somewhat shouty grand-standing post.

I'm not that technical but I thought you needed special frame fittings and ideally a particular type of fork to run disc brakes.

So it's not just a matter of getting a pair of disc braked wheels and some new brakes.

My only recently acquired Ridgeback Expedition, which I love, won't take disc brakes unless I have missed something.

By the by, I bought my 2016 model in 2017 as an end of line as I wanted rim brakes rather than disc - from 2017 the bike was disc brake I think - anyone know if Ridgeback changed the fork?).

As for living in the past, several of my favourite bikes are from the 90s.

And you have spectacularly missed the point/title, as I don't think anyone is suggesting that rim braked 700 wheels are in danger of disappearing any time soon.
Sweep
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Des49 wrote:
iandriver wrote:They really don't seem to have caught on in the UK yet, but for an economic, strong rim, I really think these from DT Swiss take some beating.

Yes, these do look good. Though the 26" 36h Sputniks do seem to have an extra 90g of metal on them, so assume the Sputniks may have thicker sidewalls.

The DT rims I have built are very nice and true, but they do seem to often lack 36 hole options in some 700c road rims.

I may well get a few 26" 36 hole Sputnik rims to keep in reserve.

I wonder where that extra metal is. Is it just eyelets or on the rim itself. It's always extremely frustrating when things like brake wall thickness aren't quoted. Grr. I think you're probably right, if it's not broke don't fix it. A couple of Sputniks in stock doesn't do any harm. Thankfully these 535 545 series do seem to be 36 hole. I've got a set of 700x 545D on one of my bikes. It has stood up to heavy loads on Flemish cobbles very well so far.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As I wrote on page 1 of this thread:

"I ride 26 because of the availability of tyres, tubes, rims, etc. I've had 2 partners caught out on 700s: tubes in India; and rim in Cambodia."

I also think the wearing out rim thing is rather overstated. My last rear Sputnik rim lasted about 40,000kms. About two thirds of this was long haul touring mainly in Asia. I replaced it when I thought it was a bit worn, it had exposed the wear line, but not worn through. The front has just been replaced after 50,000+, because of a bad dent on the braking surface, acquired during transit.

I remember someone on another forum who had bought ceramic rims to avoid the wear problem. What he found was that the rim braking surfaces didn't wear, but it was still just an alu rim and eventually the spoke holes started to fail. His 'mileage' wasn't that much up on mine. Presumably your braking surface perfect disc wheels also have a finite life span.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What do we think of Alex DH19s? Am looking to squirrel a couple of tandem 36H 26" rims away for the reasons discussed.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bonefishblues wrote:What do we think of Alex DH19s? Am looking to squirrel a couple of tandem 36H 26" rims away for the reasons discussed.

Interesting post - that's what my much tingling-despised Ridgeback Expedition came with.

Been running two years with no problems - some short tours very heavily loaded.

My plan was to replace them with Sputniks for the longer term/a major major trip. Plan accelerated I suppose.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:What do we think of Alex DH19s? Am looking to squirrel a couple of tandem 36H 26" rims away for the reasons discussed.

Interesting post - that's what my much tingling-despised Ridgeback Expedition came with.

Been running two years with no problems - some short tours very heavily loaded.

My plan was to replace them with Sputniks for the longer term/a major major trip. Plan accelerated I suppose.

I've never seen the Sputniks recommended as a tandem rim, whereas I've seen the DH19s used & recommended. Wondering why, tbh.

...or I could just go nuts and buy a pair of Andra 40s?
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 5 Apr 2019, 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Ivor Tingting wrote:You'll just have to get newer better spec components which are considerably better anyway. Can't live in the past for ever as much as you would like to. Prices have come down a lot in recent years. Making changes is not as expensive as it used to be. So future proof your bike and self by getting some disc brake wheels then you don't have to worry about knackered and worn out rims every few years meaning new wheels. Simples.

Maybe not so simples in many cases. We have four 26" bikes in use, mine is the most used. The frames all date back to the 90s, use 7 speed (one on a Rohloff). To break the pattern will be hugely expensive, when with care hopefully these bikes can give many years of further service. It is difficult to source the cassettes now, replacement gear levers could be tricky too, seems rims are reducing in choice too, but I don't think a modern bike would do any better job for what I need.

I am considering getting a new pair of forks made for my bike, so I can use low rider carriers on proper mounts. If I do there is the option of a disc fork of course, but this would make this bike unique for me with no spare wheel available. Not sure if it is worth it.