What have the Reynolds ever done for us? A weigh-in

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

What have the Reynolds ever done for us? A weigh-in

Post by David9694 »

Suspecting that I've been done on an Ebay frame-set purchase (I didn't pay all that much for it) I've done a weigh-in of the unbuilt frames and forks I've got lying around. It looks like you're doing well if you're coming in under 3kg.

I've used an Ebay digital luggage scale clamped in my workstand, A couple of these frames have got headsets and/or b/bs installed and I've made allowances for these - they each weigh 150g since you ask.

The suspected gas pipe, or high tensile steel 1970s Dawes tips the scale at 3410g (seatpost diameter of 26.0). You can feel the additional 400g of heft when you pick it up. Maybe I'll make it a goal to lose 3410g myself.

Raleigh Record Ace:
21" 2830g, 23.5" 3040g

Mystery 23.5" Raleigh with 531 sticker (bought around the same time as Dawes) 2800g

John Atkins 23" 531C throughout - 2920g

Bob Griffin 22.5" 531ST throughout - 3060g (26.6mm seat tube)

Viner Special Professional - 22" unknown tubing, 27.2 mm seat tube 2660g
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Jamesh

Re: What have the Reynolds ever done for us? A weigh-in

Post by Jamesh »

18 -23 possibly?
501?

Sorry to here it!

My mate after a commuter bike if you were wanting to get rid of it.
He keeps buying too nice bikes and then gets attached to them and dosen't want to commute on them!
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

As I read this post and the linked post, the weight of a gas pipe frame and 531 frame are similar.
However a good 531 frame is a joy to ride....mine is anyway, as it flexes and absorbed bumps.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree.
A sheer joy.

For the record, these are the weights for my 531c Mercian Vincitore.
(The head tube has the headset fixed cups in place, as do the forks)

531c, 23.5", 73deg parallel.
Frame weighs 2170g
Forks weigh 692g

Frame plus forks is 2,862g
Mick F. Cornwall
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I am not surprised that people get caught out buying framesets/bicycles on a certain auction site and notwithstanding weight I only have bicycles with full tubesets of 531, 531st, 531sl and 531 pro, however don't knock 501, a 501 frame with a full 501 tubeset will ride well.

I doubt most could tell what tubeset they're riding anyway - many people cannot discern quality from tat whatever they're looking at.

The main point is you can tell, quite easily if you have the knowledge, if a frame is built from a quality tubeset: giveaways is the quality of the lugwork (seat cluster often a giveaway) and the brazings (i.e the type of braze-ons - especially the top tube cable braze-ons).

The larger makers, back in the day of steel, like Raleigh and Dawes would use Reynolds as a value added, building bikes with three main tubes rather than full tubesets just so they could market the name Reynolds.

Smaller - bespoke - makers of course would always use full tubesets and some would not even apply the Reynolds decal - if requested by the customer they would.

John.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

If you google 'Reynolds frame weights cuk forum' it comes up with quite a lot of threads on the subject.
Here's an interesting one :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89574
Nu-Fogey
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

colin54 wrote:If you google 'Reynolds frame weights cuk forum' it comes up with quite a lot of threads on the subject.
Here's an interesting one :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89574

Most experienced and knowledgeable cyclists know that frame weight is only part of the equation: have a frame built for you and the discussion will rarely if at all involve what it weighs.

John.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:I am not surprised that people get caught out buying framesets/bicycles on a certain auction site and notwithstanding weight I only have bicycles with full tubesets of 531, 531st, 531sl and 531 pro, however don't knock 501, a 501 frame with a full 501 tubeset will ride well.

I doubt most could tell what tubeset they're riding anyway - many people cannot discern quality from tat whatever they're looking at.

The main point is you can tell, quite easily if you have the knowledge, if a frame is built from a quality tubeset: giveaways is the quality of the lugwork (seat cluster often a giveaway) and the brazings (i.e the type of braze-ons - especially the top tube cable braze-ons).

The larger makers, back in the day of steel, like Raleigh and Dawes would use Reynolds as a value added, building bikes with three main tubes rather than full tubesets just so they could market the name Reynolds.

Smaller - bespoke - makers of course would always use full tubesets and some would not even apply the Reynolds decal - if requested by the customer they would.

John.

Larger makers built plenty of frames using 531 throughout. For example my Raleigh Record Ace, Raleigh Randonneur and Peugeot PX10 frames have 531 main tubes, forks and stays.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

They did, I know, having worked with Raleigh and the SBDU in the days of steel. That wasn't really the point, re-read the OPs post.

J.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a Raleigh special products division 521c and a British eagle 501 tourer. Will be good to see the difference between them if I ride them back to back.

I did notice that the steering seems stiffer with an aheadset quill adaptor on the 501 not sure if I should put sti and aheadset on 531?!

Cheers James
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Jamesh wrote:I have a Raleigh special products division 521c and a British eagle 501 tourer. Will be good to see the difference between them if I ride them back to back.

I did notice that the steering seems stiffer with an aheadset quill adaptor on the 501 not sure if I should put sti and aheadset on 531?!

Cheers James

Do they both have full tubesets, e.g forks, stays and maintubes ? In addition geometry plays a part when comparing as does your ability to evaluate.

J.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I couldn't say.
Probably on the 531 and probably not on the 501!
Yes if course geometry will paly a big part as well as wheels tyres etc.
The 501 is longer on length whilst the 531 is more race spec.
However the 531 has rack mounts whilst the 501 dosen't - v odd!!

Should put sti on the Raleigh then it would be a cracking audax bike!

Cheers James
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:They did, I know, having worked with Raleigh and the SBDU in the days of steel. That wasn't really the point, re-read the OPs post.

J.

I was replying to your post which implied they didn't.
The OP says the frame he bought uses a 26mm seat post. That's the giveaway that it's not 531. In general the lower quality the tubes the thicker they are so need a smaller diameter seat pin.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:They did, I know, having worked with Raleigh and the SBDU in the days of steel. That wasn't really the point, re-read the OPs post.

J.

I was replying to your post which implied they didn't.
The OP says the frame he bought uses a 26mm seat post. That's the giveaway that it's not 531. In general the lower quality the tubes the thicker they are so need a smaller diameter seat pin.

Thank you for the reply, I'm sure it will add to the knowledge of many forum members. I've contributed articles to a number of publications on builders and framebuilding and am currently preparing one on a famous name - been around custom frames since my first Roberts - which I still have - at the age of 16.

J.