What size are the common rack and mudguard fastenings?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
garygkn

What size are the common rack and mudguard fastenings?

Post by garygkn »

Hi,
I need to buy fastenings for a rack and mudguards. I don't have the bike with me but when I collect it I want to fit guards and a rack. The bike is a Condor audax model 2002 it came stock with the rack and guards but the fastenings are missing.

M5 rings a bell?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Much appreciated.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Moto G (4) using hovercraft full of eels.
foxyrider

Re: What size are the common rack and mudguard fastenings?

Post by foxyrider »

M5 is most usual but occasionally M6 has been used.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Thank you.
I'll get some M5s.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Moto G (4) using hovercraft full of eels.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Is the chain stay bridge also usually M5 when present and drilled to take a mudguard?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I think M5 for mudguards generally, but M6 for a stronger rack mount at the bottom. Depends on the frame.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Samuel D wrote:Is the chain stay bridge also usually M5 when present and drilled to take a mudguard?

A simple check is to use a bottle cage bolt which are always M5.

Make sure you get bolts of suitable length, for racks I generally use 15mm, mudguards and everything else 10mm and don't forget washers either!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the M5 thread that is used on bikes is (with the exception of a few things such as barrel adjusters on some campag mechs, and some ancient Simplex gear levers) M5x0.8mm.

(edit there are also a 3/16" threads -more than one type- that are used on some older frames; but M5x0.8 has been current for at least the last 40 years.)

Its about 99% certain that a 2002 frame would use M5x0.8 threading for the bottle bosses, mudguards, etc.

However some more recent frameset designs have been stricken with the weight saving obsession; I am told that there are now such things as M4x0.7mm threaded mudguard eyes and bottle bosses. Crazy.... :shock:

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 19 Mar 2019, 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

For the rack or combined fixing a spot of Loctight or similar thread locker is a good idea.
If clearance permits a slightly longer bolt and an inner nut tightened with "feel" save strain on the eye thread. IMV
Use a high quality bolt