Campagnolo/Shimano mix

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
K1566

Campagnolo/Shimano mix

Post by K1566 »

Hi
My question is can I use a rear wheel with a Shimano ten speed cassette on my bike fitted with a Campagnolo rear mech.
Shifting is non indexed friction downtube levers. I’m guessing it will be okay but anyone else have experience of this?
Thanks for any help
Jamesh

Re: Campagnolo/Shimano mix

Post by Jamesh »

Cannot see why not depending on the rear mech age as it might have thicker jockey wheels and a wider chain might not run so well on a ten speed cassette?
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's a bit of background missing here about why you're doing this, and where the bike and wheel respectively came from. Wheels (and therefore frames) have got slightly wider over the years (to accommodate more sprockets) so, for example, if you're trying to put a modern wheel into a frame built in the days of 5-speed friction shifters, you'll at minimum have to spring the frame a bit wider.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

depends on the age of the RD and the bike really; it ought to work OK but there are various possible problems, e.g. if it is old enough, it may not have the capacity to use as large a sprocket as is often found on a 10s cassette. You will need to use a 10s chain obviously. Another possible snag is the thickness of the inner cage plate of the mech; older campag systems didn't have the RD as close to the spokes as shimano 10s, so you may find you have little or no clearance to the spokes in bottom gear.

'Road bike' rear wheels have usually been ~130mm OLN from the days of 8s onwards, but earlier systems used 120mm, 126mm etc and any hub that is MTB/touring oriented may well be 135mm OLN.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1566

Post by K1566 »

It’s already running a ten speed Campagnolo cassette on a Fulcum rea4 wheel. I’ve got a nice set of
Wheels with Dura Ace hubs and open Pro rims with an Ultegra ten speed cassette. I just want o swap the Fulcum wheels out for the better Dura Ace ones
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the clearance between the RD and the spokes may vary slightly as previously described. You will probably have to adjust the RD limit screws because the campag cassette will likely be a fraction wider than the shimano one.

Note also that there are two widths of 10s chain; some (mostly campag?) systems used a ~6.2mm chain width but most use a chain that is closer to 5.9mm wide these days. If you have a 6.2mm wide chain it will probably still work, but just run a bit noisier than it might otherwise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1566

Post by K1566 »

Thanks your all the replies.
I’m running a ten speed Campagnolo casette on it now with 28 sprocket and would use my other wheels with 28 Shimano Ultegra cassette