Raleigh Pioneer headset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iansoady

Raleigh Pioneer headset

Post by iansoady »

Flushed with success at getting my Dawes Mojave to fit me, we've gone out and bought a pretty Raleigh Pioneer for my wife:

The headset seems a bit slack but I haven't come across one like this before (not that my experience is extensive). I was looking for hexagons to adjust / dismantle it with another hexagon locking ring but there just seems to be one knurled plastic ring which seems to be the locking device:

... which has Tange embossed on it:

Does this just unscrew by hand? And where is the actual adjuster?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Ian
Brucey

Re: Raleigh Pioneer headset

Post by Brucey »

IIRC that is a plastic cover ( it has raised lettering on it, right?) and it just pries off, exposing the locknut. The locknut is quite likely to be octagonal, in fact.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Many thanks for the prompt response.

Yes, plastic with raised lettering. I didn't want to attack it without having some idea of what it did.

I take it the actual adjusting hex / octagon is under the lower smooth plastic cover - does this also just lever / pull off?
Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

I expect things will be clearer once you have the lock nut and the brake hanger off. Report back with more pics at that stage if you are still unsure.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I've prised the plastic cover off and it did indeed conceal an octagonal nut which I take it is the locknut. I'm assuming that the actual adjusting nut is under the cover beneath the cable hanger.
Ian
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

iansoady wrote:I've prised the plastic cover off and it did indeed conceal an octagonal nut which I take it is the locknut. I'm assuming that the actual adjusting nut is under the cover beneath the cable hanger.

yes, the adjusting part will be below the hanger. You may be able to turn this by hand. You won't need to hold onto it as you tighten the locknut, just use a large adjustable spanner to hold the hanger.

Note that the locknut takes slack out of the adjustment as it is tightened, so you should increment towards the correct adjustment (each time tightening the locknut and checking for play) if you want to be sure that you haven't overdone it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Many thanks, understood.
Ian