135mm OLN hub in a 130mm alloy frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

135mm OLN hub in a 130mm alloy frame?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Just a quick question prompted by a discussion on another forum.

I wouldn't have any qualms about springing an alloy frame 2.5mm per side, as it were to fit an mtb hub in a road/hybrid frame.

Am I right/wrong/depends?
Brucey

Re: 135mm OLN hub in a 130mm alloy frame?

Post by Brucey »

no thanks

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Go on, give me more please :)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Brucey wrote:no thanks

cheers

A mass produced bike by Specialized - Globe series both men and ladies variants, it's never been an issue, 10+ years under heavy use quite literally in the sense personally and I've never heard a dickie bird re the 135mm Deore hub being problematic in the 130mm dropouts!

You do seem to be a proper doom and gloom merchant using anecdotal 'evidence' for your viewpoint, I'm guessing your bike shop had (another) recent failure that you made it your business to know about right? :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In general, I should think it would be okay, though it somewhat depends upon the alloy. If by 'alloy' you mean aluminium, it will reduce the life.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot on here about springing or setting frames (steel?)
Is alloy different? What about carbon?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is a lot on here about springing or setting frames (steel?)
Is alloy different? What about carbon?

The reason I ask is because it is - I'm no metallurgist, but do know that aluminium alloy is very different to steel in its inability to accept repeated bending without fracture, which is what prompted the question.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What I absolutely wouldn't seek to do is re-set an aluminium alloy frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

frames crack by fatigue because in use, they see an alternating stress. If you 'spring' a frame then you increase the mean stress, and as the plot above suggests, the tolerance for cyclic stresses is reduced whenever you do this, i.e. the frame is more likely to break via fatigue.

Steel frames can usually be cold-set to a new dimension but aluminium frames usually cannot, not without a significant risk of damage, anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Can you explain what I'm seeing here?

What's in my mind is that a one-off flexation which is then locked in place and cannot then move/flex is very different to say a badly-specced tubeset (the Vitus 979 one spring (arf!) to mind) where constant flexing is taking place.

Am I misreading?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:Can you explain what I'm seeing here?

What's in my mind is that a one-off flexation which is then locked in place and cannot then move/flex is very different to say a badly-specced tubeset (the Vitus 979 one spring (arf!) to mind) where constant flexing is taking place.

Am I misreading?

But when you force it further open, you increase the stresses in the rear triangle. The variable stresses, which occur naturally in use are on top of that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:

Am I misreading?

But when you force it further open, you increase the stresses in the rear triangle. The variable stresses, which occur naturally in use are on top of that.

Yes, I get that, but then I lock it in position with the QR and an axle, and little or no deflection occurs thereafter, shirley?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Am I misreading?

Yes, I get that, but then I lock it in position with the QR and an axle, and little or no deflection occurs thereafter, shirley?

But when you do that the dropouts won't be parallel any more (assuming they were parallel at 130 - however this may be somewhat mitigated by the steel locknuts of the axle eating into the alloy dropouts. :roll:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fastpedaller wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:But when you force it further open, you increase the stresses in the rear triangle. The variable stresses, which occur naturally in use are on top of that.

But when you do that the dropouts won't be parallel any more (assuming they were parallel at 130 - however this may be somewhat mitigated by the steel locknuts of the axle eating into the alloy dropouts. :roll:

Understand. But what will be the effect of doing that on the frame and its longevity?

We have a member who has done it for 10 years in a frame. What has he missed in terms of risk?
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 24 Mar 2019, 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

When faced with this, the dropouts actually measured 132mm. The LX hub had two 2.5mm spacers. One removed, chop down axle, quick redish and one 132.5 hub in a 132mm space. First place I'd start would be to have a measure up, find out what you are really dealing with, go from there.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....