Ratchet/Breaker Bar size & length for bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maxglide

Ratchet/Breaker Bar size & length for bikes

Post by maxglide »

My tool box needs a Ratchet/BB update. I'm deciding between going 3/8" or 1/2" (already have 3 sockets in 3/8", 13,14,15, and a long and short ratchet.)

Is 1/2" overkill for a bike and more suited to car work? And what shaft length is good (in either size) - wouldn't too long risk overtightening and stripping threads?
hamster

Re: Ratchet/Breaker Bar size & length for bikes

Post by hamster »

There are very few bolts on a bike these days. I use a little torque wrench for most things, which has a 1/4" drive. The only one needing a big socket usually is the bottom bracket. That has needed a 1m bar on occasions!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hamster wrote:There are very few bolts on a bike these days. I use a little torque wrench for most things, which has a 1/4" drive. The only one needing a big socket usually is the bottom bracket. That has needed a 1m bar on occasions!

I can beat that, once had to use a 6ft scaffold pole and two mechanics on the end to remove one!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

required torques on bikes vary considerably. Arguably there are three categories

a) 1-15Nm mainly M5, M6 screws, etc
b) 20-50Nm, e.g. track nuts, cassette lockrings, pedals, M8 crank bolts, M8 seat pin bolts, freehub bolts
c) >50Nm, eg BB cups, removing stuff.

A good 1/2" drive will do b) and c). A good 3/8" drive will not give enough torque to remove stuff that is seized.

ideally you would have 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive stuff to cover all bases. I have even used 3/4" drive stuff on a (very) stuck BB before now, and I needed it; a 1/2" drive would have failed at the torque values I was using.

Quite a lot of lockring tools and BB tools come with a 1/2" drive fitting in them, so I would recommend that you get a 1/2" drive breaker bar. You can use this with 3/8" drive sockets by using an adaptor.

Re overtightening things; if you are worried about this, get a torque wrench or two. No-one can say that 'using a handle XY long you will definitely not over/undertighten stuff'; it doesn't work like that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

There are very few bolts on a bike these days.

There are plenty on mine, since they're mostly 90's MTB's made of iron.

From the comments, surprising a bottom bracket could be so stubborn. It looks like it's going to be a 1/2" breaker, then, about 2ft in length. Ta.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

maxglide wrote:My tool box needs a Ratchet/BB update... Is 1/2" overkill for a bike and... what shaft length is good... wouldn't too long risk overtightening and stripping threads?

I have a mishmash of 1/4” and 3/8” ratchets that live in my toolbox, and a 1/2” drive breaker bar I bought for a friend’s seized BB, together with a Halfords 32mm socket in to which the BB tool fits. Nothing smaller than the breaker bar would have done the job. It’s just a cheap Premier AK730.

Oh, but at 600mm it doesn’t fit in any toolbox of mine - and neither does the 1/2” drive beam torque wrench I might use for snugging things down.

I wouldn’t use the breaker bar to tighten up, but I do have a shortish 1/2” drive sliding T handle that fits in my toolbox, although it would have been useless at getting out two of the most recent BBs I removed.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The extending 1/2" drive car wheel nut wrenches can be useful (to at least fit in the toolbox :D ), however they are angled which can be a nuisance when applying the torque.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

maxglide wrote:My tool box needs a Ratchet/BB update. I'm deciding between going 3/8" or 1/2" (already have 3 sockets in 3/8", 13,14,15, and a long and short ratchet.)

Is 1/2" overkill for a bike and more suited to car work? And what shaft length is good (in either size) - wouldn't too long risk overtightening and stripping threads?

If I was you, I'd get a decent 1/4" ratchet&socket kit (you can find Clarke ones for £20 at Machine Mart or similar places) and a 4-20Nm ratchet in that size (to be used mainly for stems, seatposts, the likes).
Leave the 3/8 and get a 1/2" breaker bar and the relevant BB tools. Useful to get a 1/2" square to 8 or 10mm hex, for using heavy-duty hex inserts, priceless when removing stubborn pedals or cranks.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...