Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank Reccomendations?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank Reccomendations?

Post by deliquium »

Thinking it might be a good idea to procure one of these to be able to charge an iPhone SE when out cycling for long rides.

Would this be worth considering?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANKER-Astro- ... 0010.m2109

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Samuel D

Re: Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank Reccomendations?

Post by Samuel D »

It would. However, an iPhone SE gets its good battery life by power efficiency rather than large battery capacity. Therefore, depending on your needs, you might consider a smaller power bank. I have an Anker PowerCore+ mini that does maybe two full charges of my iPhone SE, not that I often need to fully deplete it. The aluminium casing is rugged and nicely made (may appeal to your aesthetic snobbery!) and wastes no space between it and the cylindrical cell inside. The cell, by the way, is a decent Panasonic one. (Not all Anker power banks use Panasonic cells.) It also comes with a small carrying pouch that can hold the power bank and a couple of cables (e.g. a Lightning cable and a cable for a Garmin GPS), which is nice when throwing it in a pocket.

One other thing to note is that the Anker PowerCore+ mini will charge devices that pull less than 50 mA. Not all power banks will do that, instead cutting off altogether. This is useful for charging devices with tiny batteries such as smartwatches, power meters, etc. Makes no difference for an iPhone.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rather than EBay take a look at what MyMemory have on offer?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/

a reliaible company with good prices; you can never be sure what an Ebay item is?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I use a couple of Anker ones while travelling and camping. I've not tried other makes but I'm impressed with the quality and functionality of the Anker ones.

But, I don't use them whilst underway on the bike (no need as the phone batteries seem fine as log as you don't need the screen on & depending on the software you are using); only once arrived. I would have concerns about the connectors when actually cycling - but that is a thought and NOT experience.

Ian
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I have had various Anker devices fail (charging ports on two different power supplies, a power bank). However they do replace with no questions. I suspect other brands are worse and/or more expensive.

I would not buy from Ebay but from Amazon, fulfilled by AnkerDirect.

They do play games with their prices, so it is worth checking on camelcamelcamel for past pricing.

A power bank consists of typically two or more 18650 like ion cells wired in parallel and/or series.

One cell is in the region of 3000mAh and has a nominal voltage of 3.6V.

A 5000 mAh power bank therefore contains 2 18650 cells.

One cell weighs ~45 grams, and there will be a similar overhead for the charging circuitry.

An iPhone SE has a very small battery of just 1650 mAh.

This charges at 1A maximum. Hence the minimum charging time from flat will be over 1.5 hours.

Some power banks do fancy things such as charge laptops, at 20V, or charge phones faster at 2A, but your requirements are rather simple.

This one is one cell 3350 mAh and you should get two full charges

https://www.anker.com/uk/products/varia ... 0/A1104011

Advantages are cost and size. It will charge and discharge at 1A, so 3.5 hours to refill.

If you plan to be away from reliable power for long periods, a larger battery is better. But it's quite reasonable to own two, a small one for day use, and a larger one for touring
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Do you want one that mounts on the bike? Topeak makes one, but it's pricey.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Thank you ^ all for your replies and advice. So very much appreciated.

I'll order an Anker PowerCore+ mini 3350 :)

And yes will buy from a reputable dealer rather than eBayers who don't accept returns!
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

MikeDee wrote:Do you want one that mounts on the bike? Topeak makes one, but it's pricey.

Hadn't considered that at all :roll: So no not really has to be the answer
Current pedalable joys