Bar end friction shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geomannie

Bar end friction shifters

Post by geomannie »

Hi

I am in the market for some new bar end friction shifters and was considering Dia-Compe as a good option.

I have found 2 possibilities at slightly different prices.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/diacompe-ene-bar-end-shifters-power-ratchet-friction-control-silver/ are designed as "Power ratchet shifting lever".

The slightly cheaper https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/diacompe-bar-end-shifters-power-ratchet-friction-control/ are described as "Bar End Shift Levers, H-bar end fit".

Anyone know what functional difference the variation in description implies?

Thanks
geomannie
landsurfer

Re: Bar end friction shifters

Post by landsurfer »

Don't do it their a nightmare ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

landsurfer wrote:Don't do it their a nightmare ...

Can you be a bit more explicit? I am well acquainted with bar end friction shifters and like using them. Do you think shifters of this type in general, or specifically the models I linked to are nightmares?

Thanks
geomannie
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have a pair of Shimano 9sp bar ends that can be switched to friction or index on the rear,front is friction only,light use.
PM me if you're interested.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think the two dia compe models are basically the same thing, apart from the obvious difference in the shape of the lever and perhaps less obvious differences in the materials used. In the absence of information to the contrary, I'd assume that the bits that fit in the handlebar ends are the same, in fact.

Normally they are sized so that they will fit in 23.8mm dropped handlebars, or 22.2mm (flat) bars, provided the latter are made of steel. Most B.E. shifters won't fit inside an aluminium bar that is 22.2mm diameter.

If in doubt you can ask SJS; they normally will give an answer of some kind.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

geomannie wrote:

Can you be a bit more explicit? I am well acquainted with bar end friction shifters and like using them. Do you think shifters of this type in general, or specifically the models I linked to are nightmares?

Thanks

Last July i rode LEJOG with bar end shifters on my bike .... 900 miles later ( we went off route a few times ... :) ) i removed the bar shifters and threw them into the sea to dissolve back whence they came.
Compared with even the cheapest combo brake levers they are the most pointless, awkward to use component ever designed for a bicycle ... with the possible exception of the OZ Gear ....
Be more Mike.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I've only used friction shifters with 5 & 6 speed where they worked fine, 9 speed may be awkward.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Greystoke wrote:I've only used friction shifters with 5 & 6 speed where they worked fine, 9 speed may be awkward.

Mine where 9 speed ... awkward is not the word !!
Be more Mike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a friction bar end shifter on the LH of the drops on Moulton to operate the SA3sp.
The rest of the gears are operated by DT shifters.

The issue I have swapping SA gear ratios, is I wobble a bit every now and again whilst changing.
I don't like bar ends, or should I say I don't like having a LH one on Moulton. As well as that, I bang my left knee on it from time to time.

I have no option but to use it, and it works brilliantly, but I wouldn't like a "normal" bike with bar ends at all. Very non-ergonomic and awkward IMHO ................ although I admit I've not much experience of them.

Preferences in gear controls for me, would be DT shifters, very closely followed by Campag Ergos.

Another statement:
STI's - in my experience - come way down the list, even further down the list than bar ends.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

any shifter that you are not used to can take a long time to familiarise yourself with. Hence this is probably the main reason Mick F still wobbles a bit (even with a simple three position shift) and Landsurfer decided to use his bar end shifters as projectiles.

I've never been a long term BE shifter user; I think (for me) there is nearly always a better place to position a simple gear lever of this type, eg near the hoods, under the tops, under the stem, on the downtube. However BE shifters have the not insubstantial advantage that they are easy to fit to almost any dropped handlebar, whereas the other options usually require some kind of special fitment, meaning that there often isn't an easy bolt-on solution.

Overall I don't find the BE position to be the most ergonomic for shifting and the lever is fairly easily knocked or damaged in a prang; despite this I'd still take them over STIs for touring. However I do note that there is definitely a knack to using these levers; e.g. rather than grabbing the lever with your thumb and forefinger, it is probably better to grasp the handlebar and to use either the third and fourth fingers to raise the lever or the base of your thumb to push the lever downwards; this, I think, makes it far less likely that you will push the handlebar during a shift and therefore cause a wobble. Have others noticed the same thing, I wonder?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Post by whoof »

You'll find various people telling you all sort regarding different kind of levers. Some of it is based of things such as mechanics; current STI levers require longer cables with more bends in those cable compared to down tube shifters and this may affect shifting performance. Other comments such as; you can only change gear on the tops with STIs or bar-end shifters are awkward are personal. I can change gear with STIs on the hooks and have toured with bar-end shifters for years and don't find them awkward.

Try some if you can, if you find them OK then buy some.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Thanks folks.

A hornets nest I see.

I guess that my actual question is what are "H-bars". I will have to get back to sjscycles to ask them what they mean and what that means in terms of fit.

Cheers

Bob (who likes bar-endies a lot, including 9 speed, and who knows, maybe even 10+?)
geomannie
cromo

Post by cromo »

I use Dia-Compe friction BE shifters on a 9 speed bike. It does take time to become familiar with them. As for operating them, I agree with Brucey, I hold my hand around the handlebar and use the third and fourth finger or the palm to pull or push on the levers. This allows a more controlled movement.
They are relatively inexpensive compared to some types of shifter and it is quite satisfying be able to shift quietly with friction shifters. Sometimes you will get a bad shift which can be annoying and it usually happens on a gradient when you don't want to lose speed, so you learn to shift early!
I can appreciate that some people will hate them, but they do allow you freedom when it comes to choosing 7, 8 or 9 speed components.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
geomannie wrote:

Thanks

Last July i rode LEJOG with bar end shifters on my bike .... 900 miles later ( we went off route a few times ... :) ) i removed the bar shifters and threw them into the sea to dissolve back whence they came.
Compared with even the cheapest combo brake levers they are the most pointless, awkward to use component ever designed for a bicycle ... with the possible exception of the OZ Gear ....

The surfer can't cope so pollutes the ocean and has a paddy. Hee hee.

I raced with bar-end levers for a decade, in preference to down-tube levers. They were very much better and operable with hands on bars.

STIs are convenient but not without their issues, not least of which is that they cease to function altogether when the indexing goes wrong, whereas the bar-ends work well in friction-only mode.

Now, can you feel that pea under your mattress? I sometimes feel the pea but get over it somehow. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
irc

Post by irc »

Greystoke wrote:I've only used friction shifters with 5 & 6 speed where they worked fine, 9 speed may be awkward.

I've found that 8 speed bar ends indexed easily and stayed indexed. I have found that 9 speeds (Shimano and Microshift) are tricky to index. It needs to be spot on. But with downtube mounted adjusters they can be fine tuned on the move.

Other than indexing I love them. They let me use and front derailleur without compatibility issues. They let me use full size V brakes. They let me use a brake hood mounted mirror.At 6ft2 I have a high stem and bar ends mounted on compact drop bars are far less of a stretch to use. - 9" more of a stretch.

Less liable to damage when flying with a bike.