would this seatpost work turned 180° for forward Offset?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tommydog

would this seatpost work turned 180° for forward Offset?

Post by tommydog »

I have been looking at the Ergotec Futura Seatpost shown below. It already offers a forward offset option of 10mm, but could the post be flipped 180 degrees to get a 50mm forward offset?

reohn2

Re: would this seatpost work turned 180° for forward Offset?

Post by reohn2 »

I have one of these and reckon it could
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't see any reason why not. The thing that stops you normally is that seat pins only have a small range of tilt adjustment; that doesn't apply in this case.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

reohn2 wrote:I have one of these and reckon it could

How do you find it? I read they don't rate it for any type of mountain biking, so I wondered how strong it was? I don't do any hardcore mountain biking where I am putting things under extreme stress, but I like to cycle quite a few miles of bumpy canal / river path and bridleways. How has yours held up?
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Brucey wrote:I don't see any reason why not. The thing that stops you normally is that seat pins only have a small range of tilt adjustment; that doesn't apply in this case.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Out of interest would you prefer it to a solution such as the VK saddle adjuster?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/vk-saddle-adjuster/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

tommydog wrote:……….. could the post be flipped 180 degrees to get a 50mm forward offset?..........

Why on earth would you want to do that?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tommydog wrote:
Brucey wrote:I don't see any reason why not. The thing that stops you normally is that seat pins only have a small range of tilt adjustment; that doesn't apply in this case.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Out of interest would you prefer it to a solution such as the VK saddle adjuster?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/vk-saddle-adjuster/

dunno if one has much to recommend it over the other. Like Colin, I am slightly intrigued as to why you want such a forward position.

cheers
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

531colin wrote:Why on earth would you want to do that?

I have one bike that is too big for me, but there is no way I would get rid of it, as it has sentimental value and I do enjoy riding it. I already have a very short stem and still feel stretched when reaching the handle bars. By moving my sitting position much further forward, I would solve this problem.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tommydog wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I have one of these and reckon it could

How do you find it? I read they don't rate it for any type of mountain biking, so I wondered how strong it was? I don't do any hardcore mountain biking where I am putting things under extreme stress, but I like to cycle quite a few miles of bumpy canal / river path and bridleways. How has yours held up?

Humpert have a grading system of 1 to 6 for their parts 6 being strongest 1 weakest,the ergotec seatpost in question is rated at 4 for trekking bikes.
Table here:- https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/erg ... 2mm-222225

I ride mine offroad on rought tracks,towpaths and bridleways and I weight 89kg.All I can say is that it hasn't broken yet :) but then I don't sit on the saddle like a sack of spuds on such rough terrain :wink:
I like the seatpost as it gives me a lot more layback than any other s/post,the downside is that it's a heavy beast at 500g :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tommydog wrote:

I have one bike that is too big for me, but there is no way I would get rid of it, as it has sentimental value and I do enjoy riding it. I already have a very short stem and still feel stretched when reaching the handle bars. By moving my sitting position much further forward, I would solve this problem.

That's not a good idea.
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tommydog wrote:

The problem with doing this is it a sticking plaster solution which is likely to compromise the usual pedalling arrangements, and still leave you with weight on the handlebars. IMHO it would usually be better in most cases to fit a different handlebar rather than move the saddle so far forwards.

cheers
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Brucey wrote:
The problem with doing this is it a sticking plaster solution which is likely to compromise the usual pedalling arrangements, and still leave you with weight on the handlebars. IMHO it would usually be better in most cases to fit a different handlebar rather than move the saddle so far forwards.

Do you mean handlebars that come all the way back like this:

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that's one approach, yes. But it is difficult to suggest something without knowing more about your present setup.

cheers
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

reohn2 wrote:
I ride mine offroad on rought tracks,towpaths and bridleways and I weight 89kg.All I can say is that it hasn't broken yet :) but then I don't sit on the saddle like a sack of spuds on such rough terrain :wink:
I like the seatpost as it gives me a lot more layback than any other s/post,the downside is that it's a heavy beast at 500g :?

Thanks for commenting on your experience. Have you noticed any slippage with the saddle at all - does it clamp it well?

Also do you know if anyone else does a seat post like this? Aside from my particular issue, I do like the look of the design. Did you see any other designs similar to this when you were shopping for your seatpost? I would be interested to see if there is anything else like this, as I have not seen anything so far.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tommydog wrote:

Please to post a photo
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies