Butterfly Handlebar - Recomendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Walden

Butterfly Handlebar - Recomendations

Post by Walden »

Hey,

Due to wrist problems, I would like to get some butterfly handlebars as I want an upright position to put less strain on wrist.

Anyone have any recommendations, there seems to be very little choice and can't find anything on chain reaction, wiggle, evans.

Ta,
Charlie
andrew_s

Re: Butterfly Handlebar - Recomendations

Post by andrew_s »

You may be better off looking on the more touring- or utility-specific sites, such as St John Street, Spa, or Practical Cycles.
Don't forget to search "Trekking handlebar" as well as Butterfly.

However, note that (a) a more upright position makes saddle problems more likely, (b) hand weight on the bars can also be reduced by moving the saddle back, and (c) wrist problems can also be caused by hand/wrist position, so having the same position closer and higher may not help.

As far as hand position is concerned, if you dangle your hands by your side, and then swing your arms up towards face level, you'll see that the resulting relaxed hand position is more knuckles out, thumb up, than the knuckles forward, thumbs in position that flat bars dictate. The resulting twist can give problems over the longer term (I get numb little/ring fingers with flat bars). You can get a more natural position using bars that have a considerable (>= 45°) back sweep in the grip area, such as the "north road" bars that used to be standard back in the '50s and '60s when utility cycling was more the norm than it is now.
Walden

Post by Walden »

Some good info, thank you.

I think for my particular wrist problem I think these will be better, but time will tell!
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Recently I changed my flat bars & bar end combination to North Road bars for my trikes and bike.
More natural position for town riding as my cycling is all utility now.
Easy to swap even on the trikes. Also looks more in keeping with the age of the frames, circa 1953
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

I use some BBB ones - they are fine - getting the grip on is 'fun'

I took a bit of fiddling to get the angle and distances of the headset right, but very comfy now on my tourer
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Humpert do quite a variety of butterfly bars, some (+ others) can be seen on the St John's St website ;-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars-comfort-cruiser/
They range from the usual ones, to ones that clamp at the back (so most of the bar is forward of the clamp).
Walden

Post by Walden »

Thanks all :-)