TERN/DAHON Style folders:why fold with chain outside?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

TERN/DAHON Style folders:why fold with chain outside?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

TERN/DAHON Style folders: why do they fold with chain outside: surely folding with chain inside would be a large improvement (keeps oily chain of folded bike away from legs/furniture etc).

ie like the Brompton, which if had covered that bit with a patent, said patent will have expired anyway.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Re: TERN/DAHON Style folders:why fold with chain outside?

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote:TERN/DAHON Style folders: why do they fold with chain outside

Because it results in a smaller fold. The hinge is behind the leading edge of the chainring, plus they don't have to use a double hinge to clear the chainring. I think most folding bikes have folded with the chain outside, including the very widespread Dawes Kingpin and Raleigh Twenty.

If I remember correctly, as well as smaller wheels reducing the fold size, Bromptons use the front hinge to enable the front wheel to protect the chainring a bit, but the chainring still sticks out beyond the rear hinge, so you're still not excused from bagging the bike on buses.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Their seems quite a bit of empty space in the middle of such bikes when folded hence I did.t consider that. The kingpin was so bulky avoiding the chain would seem worth it,,,

The Dahon curve always seemed to ignore its one inherent advantage over a Brompton (other than price and fat tyres): it has no chain tensioner thus could have a totally enclosed chaincase....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just now I can't bring to mind a folding bike that folds the other way. As well as the packing thing maybe it is also something to do with most folk mounting bikes from the left side, or being right handed, or not getting mussed up whilst folding or something?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hercule

Post by hercule »

Brucey wrote:just now I can't bring to mind a folding bike that folds the other way. As well as the packing thing maybe it is also something to do with most folk mounting bikes from the left side, or being right handed, or not getting mussed up whilst folding or something?

cheers

R+M Birdy?