Can you transfer a Rohlaff hub?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
1982john

Can you transfer a Rohlaff hub?

Post by 1982john »

Contemplating getting a Shand Stoater but would like to use the Rohlaff I have on a Thorn bike. Is that viable or are these set up for certain types of frames. The Stoater is a Rohlaff frame.
jb

Re: Can you transfer a Rohlaff hub?

Post by jb »

Providing its the disc brake type it should transfer and any of the different types of torque arm should be easily available from SJS.
It will be up to you what type of changer you want for the drops though.
Cheers
J Bro
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some of the Rohloff hub variations are

a) - disc brake /non disc
b) - external cable box vs original type (external box was introduced to allow easier disc brake installation)
c) - solid vs QR axle
d) - various different torque arm arrangements (to suit different dropouts)

c) can't be chenged without rebuilding the hub
d) just unbolts and is fairly easily changed for something different
a) and b) normally go together but it is possible to convert an older (rim brake) hub to use both a disc mount and to use an external cable box too.

There are many possible different shifters, and brackets to mount shifters for flat bars onto dropped bar bikes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

1982john wrote:Contemplating getting a Shand Stoater but would like to use the Rohlaff I have on a Thorn bike. Is that viable or are these set up for certain types of frames. The Stoater is a Rohlaff frame.

A nice choice but be warned that Shand may not be taking orders at the moment as they are extremely busy. My son just managed to order his frame before they stopped but he has a long wait.
geomannie
PH

Post by PH »

Is the Thorn 700c or 26" wheel? Changing wheel size is discouraged by Rohloff and they won't subsequently provide a new shell FOC is spokes pull through. The Stoater uses a torque fitting with a cut out that fits around a pin/screw on the inside of the dropout, it works (I have the same fitting on a different bike) but it's a bit more fiddly getting the wheel in than with the chunky lug design that Thorn use.
My original 2003 Rohloff is in it's third shell, has been internal and external shifting, two wheel sizes, rim and disc brake and two types of torque arm, so yes it's adaptable. Last time I had it altered was to fit a Thorn Mercury which included the change of shifting and disc brake, I then bought the frameset and moved over what I could from a damaged fame. In the end it might have made more economical sense to sell what I had and buy a complete bike.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

1982john wrote:Contemplating getting a Shand Stoater but would like to use the Rohlaff I have on a Thorn bike. Is that viable or are these set up for certain types of frames. The Stoater is a Rohlaff frame.

First off it's Rohloff not Rohlaff!

Discuss your options with Shand. I am sure they would be most accommodating.

The Stoater with Rohloff is a thing of beauty. I have lusted after one in the past.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.