21mm quill stem?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Walden

21mm quill stem?

Post by Walden »

Hey,

I have a dawes galaxy, I think it is one from around 96. The stem measures as 21mm external diameter. I am trying to get a more upright cycle position and wanted to replace the stem but can only see 1" stems and a few things on ebay. I thought there would be a convertor to an ahead stem or something.

Confused!

Ta
Brucey

Re: 21mm quill stem?

Post by Brucey »

the stem ought to measure 22.2mm (7/8"). If it genuinely doesn't then the fork has probably been changed (for something weird).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

As Brucey says, it should be 22.2mm.
21.1mm only come on some odd (older) French imports and on modernish (horribly) cheap bikes.

If your old stem is 21.1 (should be stamped somewhere), then its is probably the case as Brucey mentioned it has been swapped at some point.
Hopefully you have proper Galaxy forks and can put a 22,2 (normal 1") stem in.
If you want a higher position, you could try a SR stump neck (or copy there of Humpert ones in the link below), or an adjustable stem (less elegant, but make sure the adjustable bits are done up tight or they wear loose).
Ensure the handle bar clamp diameter matches the handle bars diameter.
for a sample of what can be had, see here ;-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems-1-222 ... -threaded/

You can use A head convertors, functional but very inelegant.
rjb

Post by rjb »

21.15 was the standard size for BMX and early MTB,s in the distant past. You could have had a replacement fork from an old MTB. You need to measure it accurately using a Vernier caliper or something similar. On the other hand you could take your bike to a cycle shop and get them to see if a standard 1" quill stem fits, just in case the wrong stem is currently installed.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Walden

Post by Walden »

Thanks very much for all your replies, that is really helpful, I was scratching my head for ages on this. Based on what you said, it sounds like it is 22.2 then, I am pretty sure it is original fork, I will get a calliper. I was expecting the inch stems to be 25.4mm, but I assume it is just the way it is.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Depending on how period you want to keep the bike,
You could get an aheadset adaptor and turn it down.

Cheers James
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the steerer is 1" diameter and the quill fits inside it. The standard wall thickness is ~1/16" so the quill needs to be 7/8" dia.

You can get adaptors which take the stem from 7/8" quill to 1-1/8" threadless. I'd rather eat worms than use one, mind...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

rjb wrote:21.15 was the standard size for BMX and early MTB,s in the distant past. ...

Indeed it was, because the forks steerer had to be thicker.
But is was also used on some Dutch bikes, especially the "utility" ones that would have heavy-gauge tubing for the use of racks or child-seats. The stems would always be good quality steel practically indestructible (but bloody heavy)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...