Handlebar/Stem creaking

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Spinners

Handlebar/Stem creaking

Postby Spinners » 19 Apr 2019, 8:39pm

I've recently gone back to using a skinny-tubed steel frame after a few years on aluminium. I've also gone back to using to a quill stem but when honking up a hill there is an annoying creak. The stem and bars appear to be sound so is it perhaps the (single) bolt on the stem that needs greasing? Any suggestions?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

tim-b

Re: Handlebar/Stem creaking

Postby tim-b » 20 Apr 2019, 6:20am

Hi
EDIT: Try cleaning thoroughly with a good solvent first, and check for cracking. If that fails try a thin smear of anti-seize/grease between 'bars and stem and polish off, and anti-seize/grease stem to steerer
Regards
tim-b
EDIT to suggest cleaning as first option
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

peetee

Postby peetee » 20 Apr 2019, 12:32pm

Bars with a separate sleeve on the centre section can creak and sometimes there is little you can do to eradicate it. Cinelli had a bit of a reputation for it. I always looked out for GB bars when I needed another set and I never had a problem with that brand.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Apr 2019, 12:36pm

creaks are occasionally a single-walled handlebar's way of letting you know there is a crack.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eclipse

Postby eclipse » 21 Apr 2019, 9:27am

....second that...I remember hearing a creaking sound whilst climbing a brute of a hill on my old Raleigh Scorpio; before I reached the top, the left bar decided it had had enough and came away in my hand. The creaking had started a couple of days before, with no obvious cause.