Front QR lever - what o’clock?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Re: Front QR lever - what o’clock?

Post by Samuel D »

… from Retrogrouch Rules: Proper Bike Setup.

Jobst Brandt did the rear the same way but the front in front of the fork leg, like me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine are parallel with the frame/fork tubes.
Rear in line with the chainstay, and front in line with the fork.
Always have done, always will do and I've had a few different makes, all have been perfect and all have been perfectly neat.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
When towing my Carry Freedom trailer, the rear QR goes on the chain side, as the bracket on the LH is clearer that way. No issues with the rear mech with the QR on the right at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Samuel D wrote:Image

… from Retrogrouch Rules: Proper Bike Setup.

Jobst Brandt did the rear the same way but the front in front of the fork leg, like me.

That is more or less what I aim for. Things like racks and mudguard stays can get in the way a bit, as can a frame fit pump that goes down the seat stay.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ding-ding-ding we have a winner!

BITD your bike would stand a pretty fair chance of failing road-race scrutineering if the QRs were not arranged as per Eddy.

CPSC rules didn't always do anything useful but they may have been responsible for curved QR levers that tuck out of the way, so maybe we should thank them for that. In a prang, many of the older designs appeared to be (needlessly, avoidably) scientifically designed for mutilation purposes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Cugel wrote:
Anyroadupupupup, a far more important question is: what should be the cock o' one's cotton cap when going uphill; should the cock be altered when going down?

of course; even if it isn't strictly required, such adjustments make it look as if the gradient is enough to make it necessary.... :wink:

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
Anyroadupupupup, a far more important question is: what should be the cock o' one's cotton cap when going uphill; should the cock be altered when going down?

Caps should be worn frack to bunt at all times except during interviews.
Everyone knows that! :shock:
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 Apr 2019, 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:I lost so much sleep over this, I had to buy security skewers before I could leave the house again.

It was during those long and sleepless nights,bed sheets soaked in the sweat of uncertainty and worry,that I finally came to the same conclusion which saved me from much leaning of the bike against any available structure whilst staring in deep ponderance,adjusting and readjusting the q/r levers that led me to a deeper meaning of a more settled and calm mind.
After endless deliberation I finally reached enlightenment when my pondering doubts were shot through like a straight and true arrow from a powerful bow aimed by a master archer,suddenly was all clear.
A higher plain of certainty came to me,as if in a dream I saw the beacon of that enlightenment,two hexbolt skewers layed crossed on a round table of pure white polished alabaster that had a curved vein of silver that ran through it.Instantly I realised the symbolism this represented,the hexbolt skewers atop representing superiority,the pure whiteness of the table represented the purity of the bicycle itself and the silver represented the flaw of the curved quick release lever.
My mind finally settled I thought 'what's for tea'
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The utility cyclist wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:A friend had a 'mobile cycle mechanic' attend to his bike, and did up the front QR so that it was against the fork (he said for aerodynamic reasons). What a load of tosh - all it meant was that he couldn't get his QR undone without very careful application of a strip of wood, as a finger couldn't get behind it.
Cretin (who calls himself a mechanic).

I do the QR lever up in line with the fork leg and have done so since I first got QR levers on my first half decent bike 29 years ago, I've never had a problem getting it undone. I do it that way because it looks tidier, there's no chance of it being pushed inwards in any way thus potentially doing damage and also it's extremely unlikely to catch on anything, less so than other armature positions

Does "in line with" mean parallel to the fork (which is ok in my book) or with the end overlapping the fork leaving about 2mm gap between it and the fork, and thus preventing any attempt to open it by hand! That's why it was a dumb mechanic!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Aesthetics of course Always!
In line and parallel with frame forks front.
Hidden in Frame triangle rear.
Curved internal Skewers of course Tucked in nicely.
Probably like some others on here, first use your bit paranoid about them coming on done, now I wouldn't use anything else, much abuse given but reliable as anything, wouldn't use anything else.

(Forgive bad grammar, typed with speech)

P.S. Caps, mines plastic, the peak would look aerodynamic but if not forward It wouldn't swat the flies :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

rualexander wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:I do the QR lever up in line with the fork leg and have done so since I first got QR levers on my first half decent bike 29 years ago, I've never had a problem getting it undone. I do it that way because it looks tidier, there's no chance of it being pushed inwards in any way thus potentially doing damage and also it's extremely unlikely to catch on anything, less so than other armature positions

Many QR levers will not be in the fully closed position if done up like that against the fork leg.

Many, which ones?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

The only way is like this Shirley...
Beauty will save the world.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Vetus Ossa wrote:The only way is like this Shirley...

you can see that this QR lever (which is not of atypical shape) would not be fully closed if it were used at the right (wrong) angle vs the fork leg. And that is a skinny fork leg; there are plenty fatter than that.

cheers
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

fastpedaller wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:A friend had a 'mobile cycle mechanic' attend to his bike, and did up the front QR so that it was against the fork (he said for aerodynamic reasons). What a load of tosh - all it meant was that he couldn't get his QR undone without very careful application of a strip of wood, as a finger couldn't get behind it.
Cretin (who calls himself a mechanic).

I do the QR lever up in line with the fork leg and have done so since I first got QR levers on my first half decent bike 29 years ago, I've never had a problem getting it undone. I do it that way because it looks tidier, there's no chance of it being pushed inwards in any way thus potentially doing damage and also it's extremely unlikely to catch on anything, less so than other armature positions

Does "in line with" mean parallel to the fork (which is ok in my book) or with the end overlapping the fork leaving about 2mm gap between it and the fork, and thus preventing any attempt to open it by hand! That's why it was a dumb mechanic!

Parallel,doing up a qr too tight so you can't pull it open without having to get your finger fully 'behind' it seems somewhat unjudicious.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fastpedaller wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:I do the QR lever up in line with the fork leg and have done so since I first got QR levers on my first half decent bike 29 years ago, I've never had a problem getting it undone. I do it that way because it looks tidier, there's no chance of it being pushed inwards in any way thus potentially doing damage and also it's extremely unlikely to catch on anything, less so than other armature positions

Parallel,doing up a qr too tight so you can't pull it open without having to get your finger fully 'behind' it seems somewhat unjudicious.

The qr in question was a 'traditional' internal cam with lever offset from the centreline, so doing it up (and YES VERY tight) with the end overlapping the fork and 2mm from it made it impossible to undoe by hand - and I've got VERY strong fingers :shock: . I believe this 'mobile mechanic' has now returned to his former profession as a chef- lets hope his food is better!