Shimano Claris! Help!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AgeRage

Shimano Claris! Help!

Post by AgeRage »

Does anyone know a thing or two about Claris 8x2 shifters? It's the front mech side that's causing the grief and beef. No matter what I do with the limit screws, the tension on the cable is limp, and when I try shifting it doesn't catch. So when I try and release, the release shift simply does nothing. I have tried pulling the cable from the mech side as tight as I can, twisted the barrel adjuster as far as it will go, and opened the front of the claris unit and soaked it in WD40. I have even replaced the gear change cable. Also the indicator on the front is very fickle and seems to have a mind of it's own.

Thanks
Redvee

Re: Shimano Claris! Help!

Post by Redvee »

Sounds obvious but before setting up tension on the cable etc press the gear lever so that the gear lever is on the inner ring, from your description it sounds like the gear lever is in the outer chainring position.
mercalia

Re: Shimano Claris! Help!

Post by mercalia »

I have tried pulling the cable from the mech side as tight as I can, twisted the barrel adjuster as far as it will go,

at what setting? should work if the control lever is in the small ring setting. So keep on click thatto make sure it is then try tighten the cable at the derailleur. You should first loossen the cable adjuster as that fine tunes the tightening. The front deraileur has a spring to return it to the small ring setting, I assume that is working ok? if not then you need to replace the deralileur