voodoo Aizan - fork replacement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
westview

voodoo Aizan - fork replacement

Post by westview »

Hello Folks
my current commuter bike is a 20'' Voodoo Aizan (2018) which i really enjoy riding, however due to a few changes of circumstance and routine im no longer in need of a front sus mountain bike. im notoriously tight-fisted and so do not want to 'fork' out for a new bike. Can i swap the current suntour sus forks for a rigid, lighter fork? if so, any ideas on the type and spec? i'd like to keep the wheelset for a bit longer so disc brake mount required up front. Any advice either way gratefully received.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/voodoo-ai ... -2018.html
Sum

Re: voodoo Aizan - fork replacement

Post by Sum »

There are rigid forks for 29er MTBs but the choice seems limited, particularly if you don't want to (as you say) 'fork' out. According to the specs for your bike, you will need one with a 1 1/8" steer tube, QR drop outs, and a crown-to-axle height equivalent to your 120mm suspension fork (after allowing for some sag). It appears your fork also has a post mount for the disc brake which is common now, however some rigid forks will come with IS mounts requiring a suitable adapter.

I've had a quick look on the internet; Charlie the Bikemonger have a few but they may be too pricey. Chain Reaction Cycles have some but they cost more than your bike! On One sell a carbon 29er MTB Fork, although carbon isn't everyone's thing and the axle-to-crown height of 480mm may be a tad short for your bike. You'll have to measure your bike to be sure.
westview

Post by westview »

Hey Sum
thanks for the reply and your research, much appreciated. I feared things might be a bit pricey and limited options-wise and you have confirmed that and probably saved me some frustration, so i am grateful for that. Best have a rethink i suppose.
maybe i'll say to the wife something like
'i had to get a new bike without suspension because i was being bullied at work..!
or 'the other one got stolen''
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Would a pair of these forks do?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3762777452

Ok the front end would drop a bit which if used on the road won't harm your speed.

The head angle is very slack so pulling that in would quicken the steering a smidge.

The brakes might need an adapter?

I might be bonkers....

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tbh
I would sell and get a triban / Boardman hybrid.

Cheers James
westview

Post by westview »

following Summ's guidance ref measurements etc
i had a click through this fork selector at CarbonCycles if anybody else needs something similar.

https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s ... _selector&
Last edited by westview on 22 Apr 2019, 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
westview

Post by westview »

Hello James
i had a boardman hybrid previously and was very unimpressed with it tbh. i think im too heavy and heavy-handed for the hybrids that are road bikes beefed up (which my boardman was), whereas i suit the hybrids that are MTBs softened up, if that makes sense?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I completely understand.
If it's for commuting a rigid forked hybrid of modest spec is probably the way to go.
I think that higher spec bikes for commuting are a waste of money given the punishment that commuting puts them through.

How about emailing Halfords and asking if they have a suitable fork? Perhaps off a damaged frame?

Cheers James
westview

Post by westview »

If it's for commuting a rigid forked hybrid of modest spec is probably the way to go.
I think that higher spec bikes for commuting are a waste of money given the punishment that commuting puts them through.

agreed 100% with that James, the boardman got trashed on my potholed, litter-strewn commute, chuck in a few weeks of gritted winter roads and a bike soon gets gnawed away. the wheels were awful too - had them both replaced under guarantee within the first 12 months - spokes had pulled in.
like i said though, probably the wrong choice for my needs, not the bikes fault as i know they get good reviews.
my voodoo marasa on the other hand was a fantastic tough commuter until it got nicked 80(