the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by Brucey »

the bag pictured upthread is a 'rola' cargo bag, meant for strapping onto a car. So probably it'll be the wrong size and built the wrong way for use on a bicycle, but you never know.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
speedsixdave

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by speedsixdave »

Mick F wrote:Brilliant! :D

Dave, a question:
What are the internal dimensions of your suitcase?

Hi Mick,

probably not very relevant for you now but for the record internal dimensions of my case are roughly 730 x 515 x 320mm.

It took about an hour at a relaxed pace to dismantle the bike and pack it in the case again. It went in slightly differently this time, with the rear wheel on top. I do not know why. The axle nearly punched out of the side of the case on the way back, which suggests it had some weight on it in the plane , and also suggests that my brace was a good idea and worth improving.

I cleaned and reassembled the bike today and no apparent damage done, which is a relief! I think if I was going to do this a lot, the sturdier Samsonite case might be a good investment. The other possible weak point is the lower frame member of the front half of the bike, which is unsupported at the knuckle end once the bike is split. It would be better if this member was triangulated like its matching tube on the rear half. The old Moulton AM-ATB had a single completely removable tie which would also remove this issue.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

speedsixdave wrote: ....probably not very relevant for you now but for the record internal dimensions of my case are roughly 730 x 515 x 320mm.
Thanks.

TSR wouldn't fit in your suitcase.

Rear end minus chainset is 470mm tall but 740mm long.
Front end is front-to-rear is 380mm but 750mm from dropouts to top of stem.

It just shows you that the two frames are very different.
Mick F. Cornwall