Dawes 531 fork blade help

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tomo2882

Dawes 531 fork blade help

Post by Tomo2882 »

Hello

I am stuck with a bike I’ve been given

The gear cables I don’t no what to put to get the correct one

How many chain links should their be?

It’s my first time posting on any forum so please bare with me

If I don’t reply could anyone email me direct

Tomosufc24@googlemail.com
Attachments
832A027D-999C-47D7-9A1A-BDC8190E4526.jpeg
B90CB8CF-1488-4D2E-AEE8-CFA83541CB86.jpeg
2E99A8AF-AD2F-402A-B67F-CD049C8BEC03.jpeg
rotavator

Re: Dawes 531 fork blade help

Post by rotavator »

To measure the correct chain length, wrap the new chain around the largest chainring at the front and the largest sprocket at the back and there is no need to thread it through the rear derailer at this stage. Then pull the chain tight and see how much you need, adding a link if necessary to make sure that you have joinable ends, i.e. narrow links at both ends. Then cut the chain, thread it through the RD etc and join with the magic link. No doubt someone will come along and recommend an online calculator instead...

AFAIK gear cables are fairly standard although there may be some variation in the size of the end bit that fits in the shifter. If in doubt, either tell us the make of the shifter or take the old cable with you to the bike shop.
Tomo2882

Post by Tomo2882 »

Shimano 600 I’ll post a pic
Attachments
image.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you appear to have two brake cables installed as gear cables; this won't help.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tomo2882

Post by Tomo2882 »

Thanks for your reply’s ,,, I did put gear cables into eBay

I’ll order right ones and fit them
robgul

Post by robgul »

rotavator wrote:To measure the correct chain length, wrap the new chain around the largest chainring at the front and the largest sprocket at the back and there is no need to thread it through the rear derailer at this stage. Then pull the chain tight and see how much you need, adding a link if necessary to make sure that you have joinable ends, i.e. narrow links at both ends. Then cut the chain, thread it through the RD etc and join with the magic link. No doubt someone will come along and recommend an online calculator instead...

AFAIK gear cables are fairly standard although there may be some variation in the size of the end bit that fits in the shifter. If in doubt, either tell us the make of the shifter or take the old cable with you to the bike shop.

Chain length - as you say with wrapping chain etc BUT add 2 links overlap - and then use a magic link to join.

.... I realise the OP is keen to fix the bike but the level of knowledge could be a problem - worth going to the friendly LBS and asking for help/guidance.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Tomo2882 wrote:Thanks for your reply’s ,,, I did put gear cables into eBay

Where are you based as there might be a forum member who is local and can help you or suggest a reliable local shop to use
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Or there may be a local community 'back on your bike' group which helps people to put their bikes into running order.
Tomo2882

Post by Tomo2882 »

martin biggs wrote:
Tomo2882 wrote:Thanks for your reply’s ,,, I did put gear cables into eBay

Where are you based as there might be a forum member who is local and can help you or suggest a reliable local shop to use

Rotherham
Tomo2882

Post by Tomo2882 »

LollyKat wrote:Or there may be a local community 'back on your bike' group which helps people to put their bikes into running order.

I’ve no idea wat u mean
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Might need a picture of the gear levers that include the head tube but I do get the impression your gear levers are lower down on the downtube than they might generally be expected to be.
If you google Bike Charity or Bike recycling you might find a local outlet that may give you a steer.
By the way fitting a new chain isn't particularly easy for a novice.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

9494arnold wrote:Might need a picture of the gear levers that include the head tube but I do get the impression your gear levers are lower down on the downtube than they might generally be expected to be.

I have found that on neglected bikes clamp on levers have often gradually slid down past the stop under the tube, and the gradual deterioration in performance gone unnoticed. A look underneath the down tube might reveal this.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Tomo2882 wrote:
LollyKat wrote:Or there may be a local community 'back on your bike' group which helps people to put their bikes into running order.

I’ve no idea wat u mean

Many towns now have various groups set up to encourage people to learn to ride a bike or to cycle again after a long gap. They also can help with maintenance. In Rotherham you have The Journey Matters which includes free bike checks:

At our free Dr Bike sessions our qualified mechanics will give your bike a full MOT. We will fix any minor repairs on the spot and we can also replace brake blocks and cables, oil your chain and repair punctures. If we find anything more serious we will inform you of the problem and recommend you take it to a local bike shop.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Dr Bike is a great idea - my local (Dudley) group are very good. My go to is You Tube, There are vids covering almost everything you can think of.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Tomo2882 wrote:
I am stuck with a bike I’ve been given

'stuck with' is not the phrase I'd use if I'd been given that bike. It looks like a Dawes Mirage (?) from about 1980 -1982.

They were quite a nice bike their time and they are still quite a nice bike now. A bit of TLC and I suspect it will be a good bike to own and use.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~