Fitting a Deore Chain Set.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycleruk

Re: Fitting a Deore Chain Set.

Post by cycleruk »

I don't know what the effect would be, and just to note, you are now running 7 speed on a 9 speed chainset.
I presume you still have the 7 speed chain which will be wider than the chainrings are designed for.
Whether this has any relevance to the problem others may have some ideas.
Looking at your photo's the chain is very close to the bottom of FD cage and the FD looks a little high to me ?
In what way does the change not work ?
Does the chain not move up to the middle or top rings etc. ?
Does the chain rub on the cage etc. ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
atala1976

Post by atala1976 »

Hi, I'm Francesco. Try to raise up the front derailleur, about 3/5 mm and it will be better (i think). What brand is the chain? Sometimes is a matter of compatibility.
hondated

Post by hondated »

cycleruk wrote:I don't know what the effect would be, and just to note, you are now running 7 speed on a 9 speed chainset.
I presume you still have the 7 speed chain which will be wider than the chainrings are designed for.
Whether this has any relevance to the problem others may have some ideas.
Looking at your photo's the chain is very close to the bottom of FD cage and the FD looks a little high to me ?
In what way does the change not work ?
Does the chain not move up to the middle or top rings etc. ?
Does the chain rub on the cage etc. ?

Thanks cycleruk . You have already answered one of my questions in telling about running a 7 speed chain on a 9 speed chain set.

Since taking the photo I have adjusted the FD and its position is now spot on as I have used the thickness of a one pence coin to get the 2mm required and its in line with chain rings.
The problems have been that its not throwing over to the big chain ring and when I adjust it on the HL screws so it does it then drops down to the small ring when I want it to go onto the middle ring.

As I said to Brucey I would I have checked the spacing of the rings on the Suntour to the Shimano and they are different.

This afternoon I refitted the Suntour CS and I am back into the realms of trying to get that to work now as that is dropping from the big ring straight down to the small ring. I think I am righting in saying that is being caused by cable tension and for me getting that right is always a nightmare.

The reason for me in doing all of this is to enable me to use my MTB more than I have been because the original gearing is hard work for me on the road. Thanks again

This evening I have been looking at YouTube and its got me thinking of turning into a 1 x and removing 2 chain rings. If I can get the chain line of the 48t chain ring in line with the centre rear cog it might just work.
Also like Francesco ideas and it will not take a minute to refit the Shimano CS to give it a try.

If you look at my previous threads I had the same sort of question for another bike I built and more by luck than judgement I had a FD in my box of spares an bingo the problem was solved.

As the box of spares is deminishing I would rather know if I am going to buy another FD that it will work.

As they say " a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".
hondated

Post by hondated »

atala1976 wrote:Hi, I'm Francesco. Try to raise up the front derailleur, about 3/5 mm and it will be better (i think). What brand is the chain? Sometimes is a matter of compatibility.

Thanks Francesco some great ideas there and even though it may mean refitting the Shimano CS I will give it a try.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have happily run a shimano 9s chainset as part of a 3x7s MTB system with no problems. However that is all shimano parts and I retained the same middle to big ring interval, so it all just worked.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hondated

Post by hondated »

Brucey wrote:FWIW I have happily run a shimano 9s chainset as part of a 3x7s MTB system with no problems. However that is all shimano parts and I retained the same middle to big ring interval, so it all just worked.

cheers

Yes but is it a Hollowtech CS and are you using a 9 speed chain. Surprised you didnt mention this earlier up thread.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I didn't mention it upthread because it isn't usually relevant.

Since you ask, I'm using an 8s chain and yes it is a Hollowtech chainset but no it isn't a mkII type one. Again not usually relevant.

FWIW of the available FC-M590 configurations the 48-36-26 is (because of the chainring intervals) likely to have the worst shifting and to be the most sensitive to the FD characteristics. The symptoms you report could be just another problem with the FD (bad adjustment, sticky cables etc) but giving you the benefit of the doubt on those leaves you with the match between the FD and the chainring intervals, which would actually be one of the first things I'd look at.

FWIW with modern triple chainsets I'd certainly try a random combination of FD, shifter and chainset, but not without any great expectation of success. If it didn't work, the match of the FD to the chainset would be one of the first things I'd look at.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:
Another thing to watch is if you have a different tooth difference between big & middle. Some front mech may need 13 teeth difference where some are OK with 10.

Don't you mean 12 and 10 difference?

never come across anything prefering 13T but maybe I have lead a sheltered life.

I know Shimano often specs this difference but I have the idea that sometimes they are too prescriptive about the capabilities of their bits.

I have several XT FDS 771's - one is quite happily shifting between middle and top 38/48 and another 44/22 though I found a doc that says it needs a 12T difference and in fact is wedded to 44/22.
Sweep