App with GPS Navigation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
staituk

App with GPS Navigation

Post by staituk »

Hi, is the an app where you can plan your ride and then it will give you GPS audio navigation. or do i need to buy a bike version of TOMTom

thanks
Woodtourer

Re: App with GPS Navigation

Post by Woodtourer »

You might look at Osmand.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Create your gxp on a pc. Export/download to your phone. Use Osmand, Locus maps or other app if your choice.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

tomtom is obsolete.

you can try komoot
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Locus Pro does it for me.

Edit: the same as ChrisF, I use Locus with Brouter as the navigation data source. There is a guide to integrating the two for offline on-the-spot navigation here: https://lyckligafiskaren.se/brouter-and-locus-the-ultimate-guide-to-offline-bicycle-navigation-and-routing/. The guide was written for an older version of Locus, and some things in the UI have changed, but I didn't find it difficult to adapt the instructions to the current version. I used the Locus/Brouter combination to create routes on my phone when we were riding across Switzerland/Germany/Austria last year. Also, having created the routes on the phone, I was able to Bluetooth connect my phone to my wife's Garmin 1000 and use the combination of the Gexporter app on my phone and the Gimporter IQ app on the Garmin to copy the routes wirelessly across to the 1000, as she preferred navigating using her Garmin.
Last edited by NickJP on 1 May 2019, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

NickJP wrote:Locus Pro does it for me.

And me. Been using it for years; coupled with 'Brouter' it can find routes when there's no internet signal available. It's not the easiest app to learn (I think the author has put too many bells & whistles in) but worth the effort.
Chris F, Cornwall
willpom

Post by willpom »

Ride with GPS but it needs to be a paid for subscription. I use it for Audax. No screen to look at. Best if you edit the cues as the Google/OSM generated ones don't always contain every junction and probably contain extras that aren't needed (where road name changes). But for ease you can put an offcourse alert for those missing ones.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Osmand every time. I've been using it for 6 years and I find it very good and free if you don't want to pay for the unlimited map downloads.
I don't think it's always the best at plotting a route but loading your own GPX track onto it and it works perfectly.
Having voice guidance helps with battery life as you can set it to spring to life when a turn is coming up and turn off afterwards.