Loose seatpost - Spa Aubisque frameset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Loose seatpost - Spa Aubisque frameset

Post by 531colin »

I have to take the seatpost out to get the bike in the car, and last time I had my "slippy seatpost bike" out I found that this thing https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-hinged-clamp/rp-prod745 hadn't completely stopped the slipping.
So now I have Araldited it in position. (I think I can warm it up if I need to get it off?)
This is also a bike that I ride in either boots or shoes, and I am driven to change the saddle height for different footwear. (Princess and pea syndrome). So I made a "ring" out of sheet Ali. to go raise the seatpost for wearing boots. (2 different sized holesaws and a hand file; I guess something could be turned up?)
Anyway, to get to the point....I don't much care what stuff looks like, as long as it works. Somebody who is concerned about looks could araldite a similar ring onto the seatpost?...pretty unobtrusive.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Will be collecting the frameset from my friend in Yorkshire this weekend, after he had a friend of his machine down a 27.4mm seatpost to hopefully fit the frame.

However, I'd be interested to know if there are any external clamps out there which could be fitted to a 27.2-ish seatpost to stop the seatpost slipping down in the frame. The clamp Colin used is too large.

A year after buying the frameset I've still not ridden the bl**dy bike and this whole issue (and Spa's unwillingness to acknowledge it) has put me right off Spa Cycles I'm afraid.
PH

Post by PH »

bgnukem wrote:A year after buying the frameset I've still not ridden the bl**dy bike and this whole issue (and Spa's unwillingness to acknowledge it) has put me right off Spa Cycles I'm afraid.

What was the result of this?
bgnukem wrote:I agreed to buy one of the seat posts they usually sell with the frame but am not particularly confident it won't drop
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Result was the seatpost the shop uses was still loose enough to rock in the seat tube, although around 0.1mm larger in diameter than the original 'post I bought to build the bike.

So, I left the frame with my mate and supplied two 27.4mm seatposts, which would not fit in the frame, which he had a friend machine down to fit. One was written off in the process by being machined too small.

I plan to get the frame back this weekend and rebuild the bike when I have time and try it with the machined seatpost.

Spa did not offer to replace the frameset and John appeared to think the problem was my seatpost (size 27.2mm). I measured my seatpost at around 27.08mm and other nominal 27.2 posts (including the one Spa sold me) at around around 27.14 - 27.18mm but they were loose also, not just in my frameset but in other Aubisque steel frames/bikes in the shop at the time (June) when I called in.
PH

Post by PH »

bgnukem wrote:Result was the seatpost the shop uses was still loose enough to rock in the seat tube, although around 0.1mm larger in diameter than the original 'post I bought to build the bike.

So, I left the frame with my mate and supplied two 27.4mm seatposts, which would not fit in the frame, which he had a friend machine down to fit. One was written off in the process by being machined too small.

I plan to get the frame back this weekend and rebuild the bike when I have time and try it with the machined seatpost.

Spa did not offer to replace the frameset and John appeared to think the problem was my seatpost (size 27.2mm). I measured my seatpost at around 27.08mm and other nominal 27.2 posts (including the one Spa sold me) at around around 27.14 - 27.18mm but they were loose also, not just in my frameset but in other Aubisque steel frames/bikes in the shop at the time (June) when I called in.

OK, but maybe before posting that Spa haven't dealt with it you might have tried their solution, I don't know why you didn't, I can't see what you had to lose.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Bike isn't built up yet. Had to leave frame/forks in York to get the seatpost machined to fit.

When it's built I'll try both seat posts. However, from past experience it's been an issue for me of seatposts slipping even when they're not as loose as the seatpost Spa sold me.
cromo

Post by cromo »

To solve slipping seatposts I have used an extra seatpost clamp fitted around the seatpost. The extra seatpost clamp is fitted with a shim to make it the correct diameter so that it clamps securely. I used a seatpost shim of an appropriate thickness cut to the correct length.
This does work! SJS cycles is a good source for parts.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Cheers. Might end up doing that if the machined seat post slips in the frame!