SP dynamo hubs - narrow flange spacing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geocycle

Re: SP dynamo hubs - narrow flange spacing

Post by geocycle »

NUKe wrote:
geocycle wrote:When I bought my SP hub from Spa I was advised they would probably last around 5000 miles before the bearings needed replacing .

I have an SP on small (406) wheel has done 15k with no noticeable play.

That's good to know. Longevity data are always difficult because of the very different way we all use our bikes. If I get 15k miles out of it I will be very happy.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine's a baby then. :oops:
Done a tad over 3,000miles on the 406 wheel in Moulton. Fitted early October 2017.
Very very VERY impressed with it - and the lights (but that's another subject of course!)

Hardly the most expensive item to buy, so if it only lasts 10,000miles, you may as well recycle it and buy a new one and at the same time buy a new rim.

My hub was £60 from Spa Cycles, though £69 now.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p30 ... YNAMO-PV-8
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

geocycle wrote:When I bought my SP hub from Spa I was advised they would probably last around 5000 miles before the bearings needed replacing and I would have to disassemble the wheel to get them replaced. In contrast the SON would be 10,000 miles ++.

I think there's a lot of factors other than mileage. I have 2 SON and recently added a SP, the SON's have both been back to Germany for servicing, one at around 30,000 all weather miles and the other after accident damage at around 20,000. If the SP, which isn't on a high mileage bike, lasts half the SON mileage I'll be very happy.