Lubricants for ratchet mechanisms

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Lubricants for ratchet mechanisms

Post by Gattonero »

I did agree with you: my only concern when had to service my Facom ratchet was to get the correct rebuild kit, past this and two drops of oil there wasn't much else to do or say :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote:..... No trouble to look when there isn't 8)

IME trouble comes to find you with depressing regularity, sneaking up and bashing you over the head when you least expect it... :wink:

Bearing in mind that Samuel's ratchet wasn't working properly and needed attention, you might as well service it the best way possible if you you are going to do it at all. Because in this case only the teeth on the pawl can be renewed (and not the ones with which the pawl engages), the consequences of slippage are that the tool can soon be turned into so much scrap. Tools that are used every day are less likely to gum up etc. than ones which are stored for longer periods between uses.

BTW in some ratchet designs when the ratchet is fitted with a rebuild kit, both parts of the ratchet mechanism are renewed. The Craftsman one above is like this; not that it is a 'better design' in every respect, it is all swings and roundabouts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Since the OP found the ratched with dirt/crud inside, that was one of the obvious signs of malfunction, and not one mistake to repeat.
And since it's a mechanism that relies on a spring that may not give enough force to pull back the pawl, only a light lubricant ought to be used. This is a general rule when not sure about what to use. And the lack of seals in such mechanism makes it even more simple.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes that is what was said upthread. However the rebuild kit comes with a small sachet of grease, hence the ensuing discussion...

cheers
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I bought three old ratchets and all three were not working as they should, at least two because of mistreatment by the previous owner. I think that suggests that incorrect lubrication is halfway common.

Part of the problem (dried grease) was probably because the ratchets had sat in a cupboard for a couple of decades rather than being used, although I don’t know how the grease got in the teeth to begin with.

The other problem was that this was the first time I’ve been up close and personal with a ratchet mechanism. Knowledge that some people (life-long mechanics, for example) take for granted is not universal. I had to learn this stuff in this thread.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:yes that is what was said upthread. However the rebuild kit comes with a small sachet of grease, hence the ensuing discussion...

cheers

I have the S153/A and the kit didn't come with any grease?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC

partial kit = no grease supplied
full kit = grease sachet supplied
Facom repair video = use grease on back of sliding pawl

as discussed upthread; using grease in this design carries more risk than benefit IMHO (but maybe it can help new parts bed in?). The partial kit contains the sliding pawl and the spring only, sometimes the screw too.

Facom repair kits of this type also fit some Proto and Mac branded ratchets. Sealey also sell one that is very similar but I don't know if it is compatible or not. I also have a Kamasa that is built the same way.

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Would be interesting to know how much they charge for a "grease sachet".
I suspect I could buy 1/2kg of quality grease for that money :mrgreen:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the full kit contains everything bar the handle, whereas the partial kit just has the pawl and the spring.

cheers