Handlebar mount for eTrex

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rmurphy195

Handlebar mount for eTrex

Post by rmurphy195 »

Does anyone know of a "universal" cheap and cheeerful handlebar mount for a Garmin eTrex? I've lost the "proper" bits (the screw-in adaptor clip) that came with mine (during a recent house move!)
Something that will clamp the unit without having to faff about changing the battery cover would be ideal, Cheers - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Norman H

Re: Handlebar mount for eTrex

Post by Norman H »

I bought several cheap Chinese copies on ebay. Virtually indistinguishable from the expensive Garmin item. It pays to secure the unit with a safety lanyard as I've read reports of them popping out and bouncing down the road.

Can't remember the exact supplier but similar to this one. It attaches to the bars or stem with cable ties.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I think you can get them from Wiggle for about £10. At least you could; some years ago I got a second one for another bike.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks both, but I think these rely on the screw-in bit that goes on the back of the unit - its the screw-in bit that I'm missing!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
srb88

Post by srb88 »

Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Not sure what you mean by the screw in bit but the back of mine looks like this and I have a couple of the cheap holders Norman linked to and they work well.
IMG_20190511_204824686.jpg
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm not sure I understand. What model eTrex do you have?

The one I linked to is identical to Garmin's own mount shown here.

It engages with the key-way on the units battery compartment cover on the back of the unit.

http://baldiviskitebuggy.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-gpsr-part-2.html

The battery cover is held closed with a turnkey. Are you saying that you've lost the battery cover?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The previous model of the eTrex 30 was the eTrex Vista which had two backplates.
The one for the handlebar mount had a screw on part which then fitted into the mount.
I did have a spare one ut it a few years since my vista died and I don't know where it is.

Luck ............. :D
jerg

Post by jerg »

I use a RAM mount for my old etrex Venture. Have a look on the RAM mount UK Site

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/

there should be something suitable, but not particularly cheap to get all the bits you need.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Norman H wrote:I bought several cheap Chinese copies on ebay. Virtually indistinguishable from the expensive Garmin item. It pays to secure the unit with a safety lanyard as I've read reports of them popping out and bouncing down the road.

Can't remember the exact supplier but similar to this one. It attaches to the bars or stem with cable ties.

Thanks for the link.

May try one - have paid my dues to garmin as i think I've bought 5 of theirs. A tenner for a bit of plastic is way over the top.
Last edited by Sweep on 15 May 2019, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Norman H wrote:I'm not sure I understand. What model eTrex do you have?

The one I linked to is identical to Garmin's own mount shown here.

It engages with the key-way on the units battery compartment cover on the back of the unit.

http://baldiviskitebuggy.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-gpsr-part-2.html

The battery cover is held closed with a turnkey. Are you saying that you've lost the battery cover?

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned this before but it looks like I haven't!

Its an eTrex Legend HCx, and the bit tht's gone missing (well, the whole of the original packaging which had the bits in it)is the one marked "Auxiliary mount adaptor, do not discard" in the attached snapshot. I have the bike-mount back from an e20, but that does not fit, possibly due to the SD card slot. I'll have a look later to see if the thread in the back of the unit is the same size as a camera tripod, which might be useful to know.

BTW the RAM mount looks interesting
Attachments
eTREXBack.JPG
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Here's mine.
Vista mounting thread.JPG

It is a much smaller thread than a tripod - the screw head on the outside looks chunky, but the thread itself inside is tiny, and there's a collar around it that stabilises it.

There's a claim here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:167082 that it is a UNC 4-40 thread, and that this is the same as on serial cable plugs on computers. That seems correct - the pillar off an old graphics card screws in
graphics card pillar.JPG

and the VGA plugs have the same kinds of screws to secure them.

There are also instructions on how to 3D print a replacement, but that of course depends on having a 3D printer handy!

Good luck!