pulley wear; is this a record?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jimlews

Re: pulley wear; is this a record?

Post by jimlews »

Bonefishblues wrote:It's a fossil, shirley? You must have dug that up, not take it off a bike!

One of those "boy named Sue" moments.

I think his name is Brucey.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:BITD some RDs came with circular pulleys, i.e. ones with no detectable teeth at all. Some old campag mechs had (steel) pulleys with many small bumps on them;

presumably so that even if the pulley bearing started to get a bit draggy, the pulley would turn for longer before the chain would slide round on the pulley surface.

cheers

My Super Record Mod 76 is like that, best chain I can find to run on the mech and 6 speed Sun Tour block is a KMC 10 speed! (back in the 70/80's it had a Regina Oro doing the deed) Currently runs smooth as silk. I did try replacement 'toothed' jw's a while back but took them off as the effect was similar to fitting Lego bricks!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the SR (first version) mech would originally have had plastic 10T pulleys (with bronze bushings).
The teeth are not that tall but there would be some purchase on a modern chain rather than none. Swings and roundabouts with a modern chain I suppose; what you lose in purchase you might gain in terms of the outer side plates hooking up on the next sprocket, in some cases.

If your SR RD has the same pulleys as the old GS mech then those pulleys are solid steel, and have adjustable ball-bearings in them. They certainly wouldn't have been standard equipment on the SR RD originally.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~